FP3: Screen won't wake up on incoming messages

Hello dear /e/ community,

since about a week I have changed on my FP3 from FairphoneOS to /e/OS with the help of the Easy-installer. So far so good. I am happy with the new OS and it also feels better to have turned my back on G00gle.
However, there is one thing I miss compared to FairphoneOS. When I get messages, they are not displayed directly on my lock screen. So, the screen doesn’t wake up for a few seconds to show me the new message.
I didn’t find a suitable entry in the settings either (or I’m just blind here). Hence my question to you guys: Where can I set that messages can be shown to me directly on the lock screen or does /e/OS not offer this possibility here (at the moment)?
Can anyone provide me with some help? Thanks in advance!

Snoopy

PS: The FP3 is currently running on version 0.19-q-20211027142972-stable-FP3

Moin snoopy,

schau mal unter

Einstellungen →
Apps und Benachrichtigungen →
Benachrichtigungen
ganz unten unter Sperrbildschirm.

Ist der Punkt “Vertrauliche Benachrichtigungen” aktiviert?

Hi mungo,

danke für deine schnelle Antwort!
Wenn ich dort auf den Eintrag “Benachrichtigungen auf dem Sperrbildschirm” klicke, dann kriege ich eine Auswahl von drei Optionen angezeigt:

• Warn- und lautlose Benachrichtigungen anzeigen
  • Nur Warnmeldungen anzeigen
  • Keine Benachrichtungen anzeigen
    Bei mir ist die oberste Option “Warn- und lautlose Benachrichtigungen anzeigen” gewählt.
    Eine Option/Einstrellung wie “Vertrauliche Benachrichtigungen” finde ich im Sperrbildschirm-Bereich nicht.
    Haben wir eventuell unterschiedliche /e/ Versionen?

thanks for your quick reply!
When I click on the “Notifications on lockscreen” entry there, I get a choice of three options:

• Show alerting and silent notifications.
  • Show alerting notifications only
  • Don’t show notifications
    For me, the top option “Show alerting and silent notifications” is selected.
    I can’t find an option/setting like “Sensitive notifications” in the Lock Screen section.
    Do we possibly have different /e/ versions or devices?

Snoopy

This is an alternative which I see on 0.19-q (not a Fairphone)

Hi aibd,

this setting was already set for me and unfortunately does not bring the desired result. I’m afraid that it is not possible in the current version for FP3… :confused:
Is this working for you on your device?
Or does anyone have a FP3 with the same version and working screen wake up on incoming messages?

Hi Snoopy,

[DE: siehe unten]
the menu does not seem to exist in Fairphones or this OS version.

But if you use the search function, you will find this menu.
So call up Settings, then simply type “lock screen” cheekily into the search field at the top, and after entering “lock” the otherwise hidden options become selectable (in German, this works with the keyword “Sperrbildschirm”.).

Since I don’t want any notification details to be displayed when the screen is locked and I don’t want the screen to turn on, I haven’t pursued this any further now.

Try it out and report back here so that everyone else with the same problem knows if it’s just a setting thing or new work for the developers.

[DE:]
das Menü scheint es in Fairphones bzw. dieser OS-Version nicht zu geben.

Aber wenn Du die Suchfunktion benutzt, findest Du dieses Menü.
Also Einstellungen aufrufen, dann einfach oben frech ins Suchfeld „Sperrbildschirm” eintippen, bereits nach Eingabe von „Sperr” werden die ansonsten versteckten Optionen auswählbar.

Da ich bei gesperrtem Bildschirm keine Benachrichtigungsdetails angezeigt haben will und der Bildschirm nicht angehen soll, habe ich das jetzt nicht noch weiter verfolgt.

Probiere es aus und berichte hier, damit alle anderen mit gleichem Problem wissen, ob es nur Einstellungssache oder neue Arbeit für die Entwickler ist …

Ciao
Uhu

Das ist der Punkt direkt unter Sperrbildschirm.
Eins weiter unten ist der Punkt “Vertrauliche Benachrichtigungen”.
Ist es das vielleicht?

Hi uhu

:us:
thanks for your suggestion.
I tried the search, but I did not discover the hidden option. Here is a screenshot (in German). Maybe you can see which search result it could be.

:de:
danke für deinen Vorschlag.
Ich habe es über die Suche versucht, aber ich habe dabei die versteckte Option nicht entdeckt. Hier mal ein Screenshot (auf deutsch). Vielleicht siehst du ja welcher Suchtreffer es sein könnte.

Hi mungo,

I suppose that this menu item is indeed missing here.
Here is a screenshot of the notifications menu (in German):

ich gehe davon aus, dass hier dieser Menüeintrag tatsächlich fehlt. Hier mal ein Screenshot des Benachrichtigungen Menü (auf deutsch):

Allright, going into double-language-mode.
See German below.

This is astounding, as I am running /e/OS 0.19-202110027142972, exactly like you.
On the screenshot of my properties in the locking-screen you can see “Vertrauliche Benachrichtigungen”, which do not show up in your’s.
Have you activated developer-settings?

Das ist erstaunlich, denn ich verwende /e/OS 0.19-202110027142972, genau wie Du.
In dem Screenshot meiner Einstellungen kannst Du “Vertrauliche Einstellungen” sehen, die bei Dir nicht auftauchen.
Hast Du die “Entwickler-Einstellungen” aktiviert?

I searched the settings a little bit and found this menu called “custom restrictions”. I could only find it via the search and I do not know the German name, but the entries there seem promising.

1 Like

Benutzerdefinierte Einschränkungen … einfach suchen nach “einschr”.

1 Like

Now I am astounded twice: No such topic on my FP3.
It offers only a Google-search (…) as soon as I search for “einschr” or “benutze”.

Nu bin ich doppelt erstaunt: Kein solcher Punkt in meinem FP3.
Es bietet nur eine Google-Suche (…) an, sobald ich nach “einschr” oder “benutze” suche.

In the Settings, at the top in the input field with the default text “Search settings”?

In den Einstellungen, oben im Feld wo drinsteht “Einstellungen durchsuchen”?

Hi mungo,

Yes, the developer settings were/are enabled for me.
And if I see that correctly, you also have a FP3 with the same version. Installed with the Easy Installer?
How can it be that I then do not see the entry “Sensitive notifications”, but can find the menu “Custom restrictions” via the search in the settings?
Can there still be differences between FP3 and FP3+? I have a FP3.

Ja, die Entwickler-Einstellungen waren/sind bei mir aktiviert.
Und wenn ich das richtig sehe hast du ebenfalls ein FP3 mit der gleichen Version. Mit dem Easy-Installer installiert?
Wie kann es denn sein, dass ich dann den Eintrag “Vertrauliche Benachrichtigungen” nicht sehe, aber dafür über die Suche in den Einstellungen das Menü “Benutzerdefinierte Einschränkungen” finden kann?
Kann es noch Unterschiede zwischen FP3 und FP3+ geben? Ich habe ein FP3.

Hi ljahn,

I didn’t know this menu yet and yes the settings make a promising first impression.
However, it had no effect on the screen activity for incoming notifications.
I unchecked the first three, but unfortunately that didn’t change anything. Very unfortunate.

Still, I’m grateful to everyone for the input. And will also try more if there should be any further ideas.

Ich kannte dieses Menü noch nicht und ja die Einstellungen machen einen hoffnungsvollen Eindruck.
Allerdings hatte es keine Auswirkung auf die Bildschirmaktivitäten bei eingehenden Benachrichtigungen.
Ich habe die ersten drei Haken entfernt, aber das änderte leider nichts. Sehr schade.

Dennoch bin ich allen dankbar für den Input. Und werde auch noch mehr ausprobieren, wenn es noch weitere Ideen geben sollte.

Preinstalled.

Mine is an FP3+.
Seems there are slight differences.

Vorinstalliert.

Meins ist ein FP3+.
Scheint, daß es kleine Unterschiede gibt.

Hallo Zusammen!
Es ist jetzt wieder ein paar Tage her seit ich hier gepostet habe, aber ich habe bisher keinen Weg gefunden, um den Bildschirm bei eingehenden Nachrichten aufzuwecken. Ich gehe davon aus, dass es mit der aktuellen Version von /e/ nicht möglich ist. Mit dem FairphoneOS war es definitiv möglich und scheinbar mit dem FP3+ auf /e/ auch. Wahrscheinlich wäre es aus Entwicklersicht kein allzu großer Aufwand die Funktion auch für das FP3 anzubieten.
Wo kann ich ein solches Feature-Request stellen?

Hello All,
It’s been another couple of days since I posted here, but I haven’t found a way to wake up the screen for incoming messages yet. I assume it is not possible with the current version of /e/. It was definitely possible with FairphoneOS and apparently with the FP3+ on /e/ as well. Probably from a developer’s point of view it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to offer the feature for FP3 as well.
Where can I make such a feature request?

Cheers,
snoopy

Maybe following this howto: