Galaxy S7 echo during calls with speaker

I just flashed the stock rom G935FXXS8ETC2_G935FOXA8ETC2_XEF, works without echo in hands free on SM-G935F

Hello. Looking quickly on various forums, it looks like this echo problem is on all aosp roms. I had seen it on lineage os 16 of friend Ivan Meler.

I don’t want to switch to stock or to improved stock.
This problem has been around for a while. I have a question and am counting on your deductible, has this problem been taken into account to date and is a corrective possible? Or put aside because of other priorities.

Romain Hunault @rhunault11 months ago
Owner
We need more time to be able to fix the issue. It seems to be also occurring more recent Android version (testing with a custom LineageOS build, and RR, both under Pie).

Romain Hunault @rhunault1 week ago
Owner
@AlexandreRouxDanzi will have a look at the commit shared by @ kiwy42. But until know, we unfortunately didn’t find any solution to this question (despite the time spent on it).

For information when I bought this second-hand s7 edge, it told me that this problem was not referenced on https://doc.e.foundation/devices/hero2lte/ as the bluetooth corrected
Since it was for sale by / e / foundation, I didn’t expect to have this kind of problem. I think if I had bought it from / e / I would take it a little worse, not on the dev channel.

Personally, I am wondering about selling this buggy model without a patch, even though I think I will stick with / e / and another model.

I hope I was constructive, I like this project.

1 Like

I just flashed the stock rom G935FXXS8ETC2_G935FOXA8ETC2_XEF, works without echo in hands free on SM-G935F

Same problem with my S7, bought on 2020-10-21 from /e/Store.
Speaker is unusable for calls.

Hello,
I also have this echo problem on a Samsung S7 running e-0.14-o-2021012798648-dev-herolte, when loudspeaker is on. A possible explanation could be that caller’s voice goes through the recipient’s loudspeaker and comes back through the microphone which is very near. I have read that a way to avoid this is to use the microphone which is on top of the phone when loudspeaker is on and not the microphone which is near the loudspeaker (bottom mic). The mic on top is used to substract ambient noise from what is transmitted by the mic at the bottom of the phone in normal use (no loudspeaker). But in the special case of call with loudspeaker, the mic on top should be used to prevent the echo.
It works because in this case, the mic (on top) is a few centimeters apart from the loudspeaker = no echo.
But that’s the theory and unfortunately I don’t know how to implement this in eOS :frowning:

From another thread: It could be that echo problems are caused by misconfiguration of a “mixer_paths_0.xml” file that is only accessible when the device is rooted. This would explain why it doesn’t get fixed in new revisions of /e/ because rooting is not involved.

It is easy to modify this file but so far unclear which lines need to be edited to turn off the echo.

The edits in the xml file I mentionned seem to only work on Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I suppose the xml edits should be device specific.

Also, I think that if someone has bought a smartphone from the /e/ store, /e/ should provide a fix.

Hi there,
I’ve been using /e/ on an S7 for a year now and I’ve had the same problem with the loudspeaker echos.
Also, phone calls are very hard to hear when there’s background noise, because I cannot up the volume to a level needed. A friend has the exact same phone and I can hear the callers on his phone standing next to him. With my phone I cannot hear callers well without really pressing the phone against my ear and sometimes that doesn’t help either. I have good hearing, btw.
Since calling is one of the most basic funtions in a phone, it would be greatly appreciated if this could be fixed with the next update. Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers

Oh and…if this information helps and I think others have mentioned this as well:
Speaker works fine when I use messengers like signal or threema…no echo then.

Hi,
The last post in this thread was october 21, but no solution has been posted. I still have the issue with echo when I call someone, but mostly the recipients of my calls that experience this echo have Iphones. I do hear the other person perfectly, but they keep hearing an echo.
Has any progress been made on this issue?

Hello
Same problem with my S7 in V1.2, the people I call have the echo of their voice. Most of them use Android.

Hi,
Same problem. People I call complain about earing their voice in echo. They have all kinds of phone/OS. No problem on Messenger/Whatsapp.
I am using the /e/ OS version 1.2-20220725206061 installed using the easy-intaller a week ago.

Same as other.
Echoes seems appears more frequently since 1.0, even without speaker using.

But maybe there’s a trick to test.

Hello,
I just installed /e/OS 1.5-20221028230220 on my S7 SM-930F. I have the same problem as mentioned above.
Regards

@jean1122 for 1.5 it´s reported over here as well:

gitlab issue reported here: #6210

Hello,
I’ve had the same problem for a long time now. My phone is a refurbished Galaxy S7 (SM-930F) with /e/ pre-installed. All the people I call complain about hearing an unpleasant and disturbing echo of their voice. The only workaround I’ve found so far is using earphones, which is not very convenient.
My brother has exactly the same phone with the same version of /e/ (which he installed himself) and he doesn’t face that echo problem, which sounds strange !

Hello,
In my case, my interlocutor hears a very disturbing echo when I activate the speaker.
When I operate without the speaker, there seems to be an echo too, but it is negligible.
Regards

Hello, this is very surprising! And rather a good surprise.
Did you compare the differences (system version, rooted phone,…)?

1 Like

yes, with speakers on it is least “somewhat plausible” but should not at all occur without speakers.

I second that
@jarival if you find something interesting you might add a comment in the above linked gitlab issue as it might help the developers to sort it out