Galaxy S7 “herolte” fix bootloop issue after applying upgrade e-1.0-q-20220526188859-stable-herolte.zip

Hello,

Originally posted in French here: https://community.e.foundation/t/galaxy-s7-herolte-resoudre-le-probleme-de-bootloop-apres-avoir-applique-une-mise-a-level-e -1-0-q-20220526188859-stable-herolte-zip/42102

From my linux environment, I tried yesterday to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S7 which was still working with the old version of /e/ that had been installed for years. The transfer always failed before the end:

# adb sideload e-1.0-q-20220526188859-stable-herolte.zip
serving: 'e-1.0-q-20220526188859-stable-herolte.zip' (~47%) adb: failed to read command: Success

So I installed it from the copied file on an SD card, but I’m having the bootloop issue described for the FP3 in the page How to fix the bootloop issue on FP3 Pie after applying an update? .

On Samsung devices, fastboot is not available. So I thought of using heimdall but the partitions given in the script (system_a, boot_a, vendor_a, product_a, dtbo_a, vbmeta_a, system_b, boot_b, vendor_b, product_b, dtbo_b, vbmeta_b) do not exist on my Galaxy S7 device.
heimdall tells me these: (# heimdall print-pit) BOOT, BOOTLOADER, BOTA0, BOTA1, CACHE, CM, CP_DEBUG, CPEFS, DNT, ECT, EFS, HIDDEN, MD5HDR, OTA, PARAM, PERSDATA, PERSISTENT, PIT, RADIO, RECOVERY, STEADY, SYSTEM, TOMBSTONES, USERDATA.

These heimdall commands which must correspond to those of the script proposed for FP3 therefore do not work:

heimdall flash --system_a system.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --boot_a boot.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --vendor_a vendor.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --product_a product.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --dtbo_a dtbo.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --vbmeta_a vbmeta.img --no-reboot

heimdall flash --system_b system.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --boot_b boot.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --vendor_b vendor.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --product_b product.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --dtbo_b dtbo.img --no-reboot
heimdall flash --vbmeta_b vbmeta.img

Would you have the correct partition match for Samsung?

Thanks in advance

Olivier

Oddly this is contains no “Error”

• (~47%) adb That is ok. it is the full transfer.
  • Success That is ok from the device.
  • adb: failed to read - this is a message (loosely) from the PC. It does not matter, as it is only a fail at that point, not an error..

I cannot answer your point reliably about whether the heimdall commands will be correct, sorry.

However, following the fail message referred to, did you try to boot the device?

I would have expected it to boot; if failed, reboot and try again.

I tried several times, the system boots, briefly displays the welcome screen, and starts again, indefinitely.
I have done the installation several times, but the behavior on reboot is always the same.

One more thing; I am thinking this is your Android version upgrade from 7 to 10; were you sure to delete /data, during the process?

The phone OS were previously the last v0 version of /e/OS.
I did not delete /data.

If the phone was upgraded from e-0.nn-pie…xxx to the current e-1.0-q…xxx wipe data is required.

This solved the bad behaviour, thank you very much!

I also have a Galaxy S4 whose upgrade to version 11 (a much bigger jump) didn’t require erasing data… Apart from the blinking bluetooth mode which I haven’t solved yet, the upgrade went very well.

I reinstall and reconfigure my apps…

Have a good day !

1 Like