Gigaset partner or not?

According to Murena/about, Gigaset is a partner.

Does this still apply?

How come they are not on the list of devices?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I was wondering the same but from another perspective:
A while ago there was a gigaset available in the murena shop with preinstalled eOS - but is not listed anymore.
Gigaset also partners with Volla.

Indeed. And Volla (Hallo Welt Systeme) is partner with the UBports foundation (Ubuntu Touch) and somehow with Sailfish community, but not (yet) with /e/ Murena foundation.

But maybe some future Gigaset ā€œGSā€ models will be again available on Murena shop websiteā€¦

I happen to support this project, but if it is so horribly difficult to answer yes or no, this ends my support.
24hours from now.

We are a partner with Gigaset. The GS290 is no longer produced by Gigaset. Which is why we dropped it from the list of devices we sell. In the future, if we port the /e/OS to new Gigaset devices, we will add them to the sale list. The announcement regarding dropping of GS290 has been going out for the past month as part of the weekly development updates in the ā€˜Device and Vendor specific Announcementsā€™.

3 Likes

Finally. Partner obviously makes little or no difference. On the list there are plenty of Google and even Nokia devices and others, which are not partners.

I appreciate the fact that /e/ is a rather small organization, however if Manoj is the only representative allowed to answer, this makes the project appear even smaller.

I simply wonder if this stategy of supporting ā€œcountlessā€ number of devices is a viable.

There are devices we sell and those for which we provide the /e/OS builds. We are only partners with the vendors of the devices we sell on our Murena shop..

The list of supported devices we provide the /e/OS for is available here.
You do not need to be a partner to create a build for an android device. Any person with the technical skills can do this. In the supported device list we have Google, Motorola and other devices. We are not their partners. As mentioned here, we just provide an /e/OS ROM for these devices.

We did also sell Samsung devices, but they were refurbished devices, not new ones as sold in the Murena Shop. Not all these devices are available in all countries. For e.g. Fairphone or Gigaset are not sold in India. Which is why we need to cover multiple vendors.

On the part about me being the representative. I manage the Forum and, yes, do reply occasionally to questions on the forum where required. From what I know, even mega organizations have only one spokesperson. All the same other team members also do occasionally comment on the forum.

5 Likes

Thanks for comprehensive answer!

This topic was automatically closed after 27 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.