Google is giving data to police

Thought this might confirm the usefulness of /e/ or Murena phones
This C|net article should make you wary of using Google searches.

This is not the first time I’ve read about Google responding to search warrants issued by courts in the US, but it appears the American government is using “keyword warrants” according to this Forbes article and as the writer says it could “implicate innocent Web users in serious crimes” and this seems to have become standard practice.
So when travelling in the US perhaps best to have a degoogled phone!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

I have no problem with the data of specific person/persons of interest (me included), being handed to police, if they have a warrant, issued by a judge who has followed due diligence, especially if it will save lives.

What I have a problem with, is fishing like this is. Invading innocent peoples privacy.

That’s the reason I moved from Apple, they now assume all their customers are sexual deviants, unless proved innocent by a scan of their photos on their own device!

Hey Tim, let me look at your photos to make sure you have no inappropriate photos of young boys. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear, isn’t that right?

3 Likes

One of the stupiest things I ever heard

Every person should and must also have something to hide.
Should phrases like: “I have nothing to hide” are the biggest nonsense. You only make it easy for yourself and bury your head in the sand.
This goes well until it catches one times right. Then, however, the screaming is big.

You don’t stand naked at the poker table and scream: All in

1 Like

You either misread or misunderstood my post.

I was using the quote against the CEO of a major tech company (that is/or is planing to view its customers on device pictures), wondering how he would feel about us, looking at his photos, and saying he shouldn’t have any problem with us looking at them as he must be doing the right thing, ie no inappropriate photos.

I am sure he doesn’t have inappropriate photos, but I am equally sure he would like to retain his privacy and not have third parties review his personal photos.

It was a bit of sarcasm, which doesn’t always translate well, so I won’t take your misplaced criticism to heart.

You would think that criminals would be more digital-tracking-aware by now. :rofl:

Prison is full of dumb / unlucky / poorly connected people, the smart / lucky / well connected criminals rarely get caught and go to jail.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.