Google - Pixel XL - marlin - Documentation Suggestions

Please add your suggestions to improve the documentation for the Google - Pixel XL - marlin here …

Device is no longer supported on /e/OS

/e/ OS Version Upgrade Instructions, Manually upgrade marlin to R

At Step 7. of the instructions I suggest changing the first command to fastboot flash boot recovery.img as the existing command is not correct for this device.

The second command suggested in the instrucions fastboot boot recovery.img may or may not work for marlin. This is where the twrp is booted on the device without temporary installing it and can be a very useful feature.

@chrisrg, were you able to obtain a stock android 11 ROM for marlin?
I’ve been unable to find one. Do you know what could happen if I upgrade from eos without installing a stock rom first?

As a side note. the current instructions don’t have a step 7 and don’t have any steps going into recovery. Maybe twrp is not needed.

I don’t have this device, but the last stock rom was Android 10. I guess you had that on your phone and then installed eOS-q? If you did, then there is no need to return to stock.

Current upgrade instructions imply that upgrading to R can be done by sideloading from recovery (on board e-recovery should be fine) without wiping first.

I would try it but be prepared for problems and take a backup first, just in case. If something was to go wrong after sideloading, recovery may suggest wiping/factory reset should be performed before booting can succeed.

Actually my phone was still on a very old version of /e/os running Android 9.
Thanks to your feedback, I installed a stock Android 10 then formatted storage and did a manual install of 1.15-r. I worked great! Thanks for the feedback.

There is one unexpected thing - there is no Maps app. (My other phone on 1.15-s did get Magic Earth.) I don’t see any other posts about the map app missing. Do you have it?

I don’t know. I haven’t got /e/ on a device just now.