GPS: how can I be sure to have it enabled?

Hi,
it’s some days that I cannot use waze or some other app like it. I’ve installed SatStat and it show me no satellites. I’m wondering if it could be a setting problem.
Can someone tell me where do I have to go to see the GPS settings?

Thank you

Renato

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Is Settings - Location enabled?

Else (only meant here as a reference to find different settings, think about how to set the settings for your own use cases) …

1 Like

I have Settings - System -MicroG but don’t have the entry you show after
Can you send me a screen shot of your menu entry?

Renato

Settings may differ a bit depending on the OS version.
What are you running currently? Please refer to [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc.

android 10

thank you

What is 1,5? There’s a reason for the screenshots in [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc :wink: .

In case of 1.5 … Here’s something older then (from when I had /e/OS 1.7 Android 10 on a phone, should be close) …

Since Android 9 or 10 GPS cannot be turned off AFAIK. Older Android, and on my Havoc OS Pie (Android 9), one could turn off GPS by toggling a battery saving mode under Location settings. In that mode only network location is used.

Android 8 and below there were three options; Device only (GPS only), Battery saving (network only), and High accuracy (both).

With A10 and above the choices are gone. So I assume GPS is always on as long as location services are on.

One of my older A8 ROMs wasn’t picking up any satellites. Let it sit outside for about 30 minutes before they started to show up.

I have read that on the newer microG (0.2.28 or .29) the Mozilla location stuff may hamper GPS.
Since you’re on an old build that may not apply. But since Mozilla isn’t very reliable anyway (backend is disabled on all of my ROMs regardless) you could disable it, reboot, and try GPS again. May have to go outside for awhile to get a fix.

By the way, what device do you have and is it possible to move to a higher /e/OS build?
Still runnimg 1.8.1-q on my Essential PH-1 mata.

I have a FairPhone 3.when I try to update (setting >system update >check for new updates) I receive the message “there is no new update” (less or more…it’s in Italian language). Do you think I could update it?

thank you

Renato

To get this answer you would really need to tell us what you are running now as in Post #4

The format would look something like e-1.5-q-20221031230909-dev-FP3

/E/OS
1.5-20221031230909

Renato

This is still incomplete info for us to be able to fully answer how you could update.
Please really do what the screenshots show in [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc and post the complete info.

is this?

e_FP3-user 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20221031.174702 dev-keys,dev-release

Renato

For the Stable builds Android 11 (R) and 12 (S) are available.
For the Dev builds Android 11 and 12 are available and 13 (T) should/may be available in the near future.

Oft times there will not be an OTA update between major versions so a manual install would be needed. From Q to R for instance.

/e/OS Version Upgrade

Though the page subheading is ’ Manually upgrade FP3 to T’, T is not yet available but the instructions should apply to R and S.
The bottom of the page has the Q&A " Why do I need to manually upgrade the OS".

Refer to links in the article for further information and tips. Maybe peruse Latest /e/OS Devices/Fairphone topics - /e/OS community

Some planning and preparation will be needed, especially in the area of backups. More than likely you will lose all data.

Info about Fairphone FP3/3+ - FP3

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.