Great apps you have just discovered

We have threads where people post a list of their favourite apps, but what about posting a gem you have just found.

I have just found - Taskbar by Braden Farmer

I have far too many apps though many are in relevant folders. Sometimes when i search the app doesn’t appear.

This app gives you a task bar which you can easily see open and recently opened apps which you can open and a search box that works every time. You can also see all apps alphabetically. Its open source and free (though I will be donating).

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

Not sure this is a gem but…
Sometimes what’s old is new again.

When K9 Mail changed things up with v5.7xx I didn’t care much for it. Monocles Mail brought back v5.600 while keeping it updated under the hood. Use it on a couple of ROMs.

When the F-Droid client changed to thumbnail-based layout I was quite unhappy and stuck with the old for as long as I could before having to finally move up. Then F-Droid Classic appeared. All business, no fluff. App screenshots are now an on-demand option. Pretty much the only client I use on my phones now.

Now we have Newpipe preunified. This client brings back the old layout where video info has returned into the drop-down and the three tabs at the bottom are no more.
Granted, a mimor thing but I like it. A few other small UI chamges also.
Available via IzzyOnDroid repo.

Newpipe

Newpipe preunified

1 Like

I don’t know if this answers the question but regarding a list of FOSS applications you can look here.

Very good job of listing the applications. There are updates quite regularly, the last one was three days ago (hence the “Great apps you have just discovered” character).

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this link. I know and cherish AlternativeTo for a decade or so, but didn’t know that list.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Found it some time ago and it’s help me a lot to leave google and get only foss app. :heart:

Thanks, I have put that link in my appstore folder. Be another late night working through those!

Still be nice for a heads up here for a new (or newly discovered) gem.

1 Like

You’re welcome ^^

I think this list is not complete, I’m sure lot of /e/ user have discover/build some great app that they can share here, but this list is a very good basis to make a step into FOSS app world thanks to Justarandom (the creator of this list).

EDIT: @Anonyme already propose some FOSS app list in an older topic here : [HOWTO] Find free/open-source alternatives of your apps/services

my personal gem this week: a modern IP telephony app, doing WebRTC only + with a companion server package to selfhost the signaling, screw VoLTE !

“WebCall” WebCall | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

to curb your enthusiasm upfront: it won’t work in current /e/ 1.5 because of how webrtc is handled in the bromite webview. Next webview update will fix it. It’s fine in browsers (I used Firefox).

It’s still prototype-ish and needs an interface designer for popular appeal, but what it brings to the table is: E2EE and P2P calls, Opus audio codec, video, file transfer - and by nature of WebRTC: direct calls from Browser to Phone, complete selfhosting

Came across something that might be useful.
Camera Date Folders, available on F-Droid and /e/ Apps.
It will take all the photos in your camera directories under /DCIM and organize them into date-based folders. Either within DCIM or an outside location.

This makes it much easier to deal with photos for later organization.
It gets the date from the filenames generated by the camera, no EXIF data used.
Not bad.

Was hoping it would be useful in the screenshots directory but only partially. It looks for files starting with IMG_ whereas half/most of the shots start with Screenshot_.

@tcecyk I recently checked out WebCall on an Oreo ROM. I didn’t get too far in testing after that device went to XMPP/Cheogram/JMP.chat.

An interesting communication tool is Sideband. Tested messaging between a few devices which worked okay but I have more testing to do.

One tool I do consider a gem is OctoDroid, a must-have for me. Given all the times I have to go to GitHub for one reason or another (from within F-Droid to check on changelogs or issues, chat links, social media posts, etc.) this tool comes in handy. Light and fast. Being logged in already means I can quickly post messages if needed.
Recommended.

Just found this one: Safe Notes - Encrypted Notepad

Seems to be a good alternative to “Notes” in the sense that there is no mandatory synchronization and you can encrypt the notes.