GS290 is in bootloop after updating /e/ OS

Another thing, iam happy with e and donated them.

If i would usw the other roms i would pay for it to…

BR
Detlef

@dherrman, thank you very, very much!

Not everything went as described by Rúben - but when the GS290 gave a first “sign of life” after the first “treatment”, I knew - my brand new GS290, which I thought was dead, was still breathing.

After several flash attempts my GS290 could understand fastboot again. With that, my Windows host machine also recognized an adb device in the Windows device manager. This was the decisive step to install Recovery and ROM in the further course. Dead believed live longer :-))))))

My GS290 is alive, running stock Android 10 and /e/OS ‘Q’ - but without IMEI’s and serial number. They are and remain gone.

In the meantime, I’ve recreated the situation umpteen times. Starting with the soft-brick, reviving with Ubuntu-Touch, VollaOS 9.0, LineageOS 17.1/18th, rooted and without rooting, with various IMEI changer apps, all of which fail to deliver what they promise.

Currently my GS290 is running rooted stock Android 10 2/2021, now I need a HOWTO to put both my IMEI and serial number back in.

Note: Recovering would belegal because I'm the rightful occupant of the GS290 and can read the original numbers on the original box sticker.

As Rúben wrote, try

• If You have no imeis after booting the phone just go to recovery and do a factory reset again, you will notice that nvdata will be wiped and your imeis will be back.

Well, your first post on my question was very helpful, this one was not. Well, I can read! If it were as simple as Rúben wrote, my problem would be solved - but it’s not. I’ve tried other proposed ‘solutions’ but to no avail because the software offered is not compatible with the current stock Android 10.

Did you find the Android 10 ROM for Gigaset GS 290 ?
I need to flash a bricked phone with new “Firmware” for then try to reinstall the /e/-OS.
I gues TWRP is for Windows user. I need for Fedora 33 Linux. The OmniROM doesn’t support GS290.

Hi,
There is a link to the Android Stock 10 ROM here. Were you able to try that out

2 Likes

Thanks, I will have a look now :nerd_face:

With great caution, please :black_joker:

1 Like

I will just express here that I have no GS290 but nearly bought one, declining due to lack of factory ROM. I have continued my communications with Gigaset asking for a factory ROM.

Imho the above linked ROM might recover a device only from a semi-bricked state. Here is reported success in a particular circumstance. Stuck on fastboot flashing unlock(Now Black screen). Hence my word of caution to @anon21640558 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @aibd for the clarification. I will ask the developer who worked on porting the GS290 and also wrote the draft for the documentation to check all these comments. Based on these inputs we will update the documentation.

I was pleased to hear, @Manoj, that you are looking at a review of GS290 documentation. I very much hope we will be able to provide documentation to support those with “bricked” or soft-bricked GS290.

(Perhaps I am wrong, I think) /e/ documentation currently seems to link gs290_10.zip in the context of

Installing /e/OS after removing UbuntuTouch on the GS290

and

only if reverting to Stock ROM

Today that page SP Flash Tool page linked from removing “UbuntuTouch on the GS290” includes this

“One of the main conditions required to flash with SmartPhone FlashTool is root. In fact, to make successful MediaTek Android Flash, your device should have rooted successfully. So first make successful one-click root on Android to make use of SP FlashTool download and process. You can follow one-click root easily on Android which supports completely on mobile.”

This is another obstacle to throw in the path of someone contemplating that route for a rescue!

In this post Gigaset GS290 - Blackscreen “Reboot Loop” Bricked? where a successful rescue is reported with SP Flash Tool and GS290 Android 10, @pk777 says

Started Download in SP Flash Tool and checked all things with flags (inc. Preload(#1)

Clarification around .preloader.bin (which exists within GS290 Android 10) would be helpful.

Readers please beware of significant version changes within SP Flash Tool - please look for instructions that use latest version. Perhaps be prepared to read very carefully the instructions and links within the program.

I faced exactly the same issue like @HaMi on a brandnew GS0290 without personal data, which i tried to install firstly with /e/ via adb. The phone seemed not to respond to any key combination anymore but permamently looped to the orange logo. Thanks to @dherrmann, whos key hint to ( only! ) press Vol+ to get a menu I was able to reach fastboot mode ( recovery mode was not reachable at all ). Using adb I was then able to flash a stock boot image ( which I still had in a rooted version from another installation: you all know the poor wlan-performance of easy-installer-installed GS290 devices → here the stock boot img helped immediately).
So, this in my case was a very easy and quick trial-and-error-solution bringing my brick back to life. Perhaps someone else can take advantage of it.
Thanks to all of you for your efforts.

1 Like