Have I lost my data by flashing recovery/vbmeta and sideloading the zip again?

Hi,

I believe I have made a big mistake in trying to recover data from a Samsung Galaxy S10 with a broken screen running /e/OS 1.8.1 (R). I realize that I apparently made this worse at every step and I am asking for somebody with a deeper understanding to judge whether I have made the data impossible to recover or whether there is still a way to access it. If you are able to recover the data, I am willing to pay for your service.

Since the screen was dead and I could not use ADB to access the data since it was not enabled, I rebooted to recovery and tried to access it from there. I found out it is encrypted and that the /e/ recovery cannot decrypt it, so based on information I found online I flashed TWRP to decrypt it also flashing vbmeta, which turned out to not work for this phone either. From this point onward the phone did not boot normally anymore. I flashed the /e/OS recovery and vbmeta from the .zip file and tried to boot, however that also didn’t get me back into the OS. At this point since the screen is broken I found information to enable ADB from recovery and I was able to access adb after a regular boot, however I was unable to get scrcpy to work, it failed with an error trying to push its app to the phone, the error message being “remote secure_mkdirs failed: Required key not available”. Some research made me believe that this means the phone is not booting as expected because the encryption key was somehow lost in the process.

In a final attempt to get the phone to boot normally again, I sideloaded the zip file (without wiping data) but now I seem to be booting to the setup, guessing based on the fact that the screen can turn off/on normally but the unlock gesture and fingerprint do not work.

Many thanks in advance.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.