Having problems downloading via Wifi

Hey all

I have this frustrating issue where downloads are taking very long times, the transfer rates are between 3 and 12kbps. Singularly, trying to download the updates for e are basically impossible, they don’t even seem to begin downloading.

If I switch to mobile data, it downloads in a few minutes @ around 2Mbps.

My first thought was perhaps there is something wrong with my wifi, but the strange thing is I have absolutely no problem surfing, watching video’s etc using wifi only so, the wifi appears to be working, the problem seems isolated to just downloads.

If I disable turn off mobile data, speedtest says im hitting around 70mbps on wifi, and yet my downloads and updates either dont even start, or I’m hitting 12kbps, It’s really strange.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been using e for months now and I love it, I just have this one strange issue.

Hello @Kaspr,

the description of the problem is understandable, but important information about the used device is missing.

1. which device
  2. which baseband version
  3. which /e/ OS ROM version

I suppose the problem could be solved with “the right” baseband/modem firmware?

Thanks archje forgive me

Samsung galaxy s7 (SM-G935F)

Baseband Version G935FXXU2ERD6

System version(ROM): 0.7-2019102528406 (One quick question with this, do I need to download updates sequentially? Or if I download the latest one I can just ignore all previous versions? I’ve tried to find an answer but can’t find one that answers this. Please forgive my ignorance.)

Many thanks for your help on this archjie

Hi @Kaspr if you are referring to /e/ OS builds downloading the last build should have all the previous fixes.

Hello @Kaspr. No. It is up to you which build you want to download. “… download the last build that should have all the previous fixes.” (Manoj)

These download rates aren’t acceptable for your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F “hero2lte”

The baseband version G935FXXU2ERD6 was first released in May 2018 (!) in the first firmware version StockROM Oreo 8.0.0. This firmware was the upgrade from Android Nougat 7.0 to Oreo 8.0.0.

With the December 2019 Security Update the modem/baseband version G935FXXS7ESLA was released (at least in my region). There are 17 (!) firmware updates in between.

It might be helpful to update the entire Stockrom firmware and thus also the modem/baseband version of your “hero2lte” to the current version 12.2019.

Updating your modem/baseband firmware usually does not affect the rest of the operating system, and it does not affect your data. However, if the entire firmware is replaced, the phone is completely reinstalled and all data is irretrievably deleted.

Firmware flashing is possible with the open source tool Heimdall (Linux, OS X) or Odin3 (Wind°ws).

Which operating system does your desktop PC use?

Thanks for point out the error in my comment @archje …I was referring to /e/ builds. Have corrected my post above to avoid confusion.

Hello @Manoj, my post wasn’t meant to be a correction of your note, because it is absolutely right what you wrote. Therefore, I’ve quoted you to say that I’m of the same opinion as you.

That is ok I just added some details to the original comment

Many many thanks to you both, Manoj and Archjie, and sorry for the late reply.

I’ve been on the road but as soon as I get back to my office I will fire up Odin and follow your advice and let you know how the updated firmware works out.

It definitely sounds like a firmware issue so hopefully this should resolve it.

Talk to you guys soon.

Again many thanks.

OK back in the office, forgive my ignorance @archje and @Manoj but I’m a little confused,

If I go searching I can find updated firmware here: https://www.getdroidtips.com/march-galaxy-s7-g930fxxs4esc3/ (though this is a 14 hour download)

With that said though, if you follow the install instructions for /e/ here: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/hero2lte/install

it says " Download /e/ for hero2lte

• dev (nougat)"

again please forgive my ignorance, but what does “(nougat)” mean in this instance?

Sorry, I’m just a little confused, I have Odin ready to go.

Kind regards

Take it easy, @Kaspr. It will be alright.

The correct designation for the “(SM-G935F)” is Galaxy S7 Edge. And “hero2lte” is the code name for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

»Android “Nougat” (codenamed Android N during development) is the seventh major version and 14th original version of the Android operating system.«

Nougat is the build Operating System version. Nougat, Oreo and Pie are the 3 flavors we have for /e/ OS.

CAUTION!
Your link points to files that aren’t suitable for your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F!

Device Name: Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930FD)
Model: SM-G930FD
Baseband Version: G930FXXS4ESC3 / G930FXXS4ESC1

In fact, without a Premium Account the firmware download can take hours. After all, the current compressed StockROM firmware is 2.22 GB in size.

I appreciate the help guys but I’m still confused.

@Manoj I understand that Nougat is an operating system, and they come in several flavors. What I’m not sure about is that @archje said:

“The baseband version G935FXXU2ERD6 was first released in May 2018 (!) in the first firmware version StockROM Oreo 8.0.0. This firmware was the upgrade from Android Nougat 7.0 to Oreo 8.0.0.”

What I am saying is that when you follow the install instructions for /e/ here: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/hero2lte/install

it says " Download /e/ for hero2lte

• dev (nougat)"

So if I can’t get Oreo here on /e/ then where can I get it?

I appreciate the heads up @archje , in relation to not downloading the firmware from the link I provided but I’m still not sure where to get the frimware for my region and phone.

From what I understand I need 2 things, an upgrade from Nougat to Oreo, and I need to update the firmware for my region and phone.

If this is correct, I basically just need help finding somewhere I can get these files. From there I should be OK.

Again sincerely appreciate your help guys.

Hello @Kaspr, actually, it’s not complicated. I just think it’s important to pay attention to the exact model names in the Samsung device variety.

When you say I’ve the device Samsung galaxy s7 (SM-G935F) then I say it should say Samsung galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935F) code name “hero2lte”

When you say my device has Baseband version G935FXXU2ERD6 then I say, okay, the firmware G935FXXU2ERD6 is a version released May 2018. it is fully compatible with /e/. You could change the StockROM Oero 8.0.0 to /e/ for hero2lte * dev (nougat) right now.

If you know exactly what you have to do and understand what you are doing, then go ahead. Do it now!

WHERE is it released though ?? lol. I understand the what and the why, I am asking WHERE can I find it??

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/ - Your saying I need Oreo, but on this list (scroll down to Samsung Galaxy S7 edge) I can only get Nougat.

The fastest way to download the current StockROM Oero 8.0.0 firmware is to use …

https://ecloud.global/s/tDNLKbnzFALZbAz

The procedure is exemplarily mentioned here …