HELP! Just updated to 0.18 and the Phone App is not working anymore

Also a known issue :

1 Like

Somewhat replying to myself here: Just had a phone call (I got called) that worked all fine. I activated the loudspeaker mode immediately (wet gloves :wink: ) and the other side only complained about a slight echo of herself. O2/Telefonica Germany.

Hi,
I installed the last update of /e/ on my Fairphone 3 two days ago and since then phone calls don’t have sound.
Neither I or the person I call can hear something. This also happen if I try to call with Signal, Whatsapp or Facebook.
I also tried to call using different dialer apps but with same result.

I know the speaker is still working because I can listen to my vocal messages.
I tried to restart my phone many times but still the same.

Does anyone facing the same issue ?

Thanks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

You could answer yourself if you had read only one screen page of the forum.

1 Like

Thanks !! I missed that

I’ve just updated this morning my FP3 to /e/OS 0.18-20210813129945 which I received via OTA.

Not sure it’s the right place for that, but if needed I can create a new thread.

All was running just fine with last /e/OS 17 branch version installed.

All went well after upgrade, until I received a phone call. I was not able to hear the person as I was not able to use the mic as well. :sleepy:
Originally I thought that it was coming from the MIC driver itself or so…
When I use signal app for phone call I have the same issue.
But I can record my voice and send it to signal as a message.

I’ve tried with a bluetouth headset and no luck as well, I can hear the person but no sound is received by the person.

So I suspect an issue at the sound manager itself and not driver level, since I can listen some sounds and record sounds in some conditions.

I’ve tried to reboot, but no improvement. My phone is fully charged.

Any idea what I can do to get that fixed ?
As you can understand, as the basic function of a phone is broken, I will not be able to stay in this situation. So if some logs needs to be collected let me know very soon.

I plan to do a factory reset maybe tomorrow or the day after to give a try, but I’m very reluctant to do that as I will have to reinstall evry thing :frowning:

We are on the dev channel, where this type of thing is rare but it does happen. While our version is tested some things, like this phone bug may still slip through the net.

However, this issue is already known and the e-team is working on it with high priority. You can read up on their progress here: 🐛 FP3/Q no in call audio after update to 0.18-q (#3670) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

I would recommend, not to do a factory reset right now. I am not even sure it would solve the issue because it seems to arise from something the update changed. Might work, but not necessarily in this case.

No idea when this is solved but I would assume we won’t have to wait until the next update until our phones can once more fulfill their primary objective. But maybe @Manoj can tell us more about an ETA? Would we get a fix more instantly in this case?

In the future, it might be a good idea to give people, who installed e via the command line a possibility to switch to the stable channel, so the risk of something like this happening is lower.

4 Likes

Would check and get back on it once the team is in office today

3 Likes

I do need a quick solution from you guys!
Making phone calls is the most basic and the most important feature a phone has! How is it possible that this has not beeing seen while testings?
Since around 20 years, I do have mobile phones and no home phone anymore.
In case of an emergency I’m not able to call for rescue. This freaks me out!
I do hope you are aware how urgent this problem is! And I also do hope that all developer are working on this problem together to solve it in the next hours.

Because eOS has no proper backup solution yet, I can not switch back to a functional version.

I never did upgrade this phone via command line as I bought it pre-intalled. So the beta OTA is pushed as well on those versions.

If I can help collecting logs or so let me know.

having looked into the gitlab issue I think I’m in the camp of

last date of stock-rom flash matters

as it provides dsp (signal processing / decode / encode) and modem firmware updates outside the /e/ ROM flash, leading to a situation where users report issues and some say all is fine.

So you mean maybe a modem firmware update could solve the issue?

I think the firmware was updated along with the 0.18 update.

Someone on gitlab wrote, he downgraded to 0.17 using the easy installer but had still the same issue. After flashing the stock ROM and then installing 0.17 with easy installer it worked again.

It looks like they missed out on a fix/update that was included in the stock rom.
They seem to have nailed the problem on gitlab, so let’s hope there will be an update sometime this week-end!

not really missed - those kind of partitions aren’t yet part of the flashing process (nor are they in Lineage). It’s not android framework/system libraries and blobs, it’s the firmware the modem and dsp itself use with some calling interface … if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I expect the fix will be released in the coming days if not tomorrow to the generic channel but for anyone who doesn’t want to wait (like me :grin: ), instructions to get the testing build (which for me got the phone working again) have been posted on Gitlab. Thanks to the e team for the quick fix!

1 Like

It works! :grinning: Thanks to all developers.

Happy that the ne bug fix work for me. Thanks for the developers to react quickly on this problem!

It would be a good idea to be able to downgrade easily if something like this problem would occur.

Someone suggested to switch back to the other slot (I did not quite get it) but this would also be a good idea if it would work.

My wife did not get the 0.18 realese OTA, her instalation has been done with the quick installer.
My instalation was more complicated and before the quick install was born. This is why I recieved a “dev” version. I did not know that. How can I make sure that I install a stable version in the future? Maybe a different version name? Or can I deactivate the dev release?