Help with understanding installation of /e/OS 1.5 on Fairphone4

Hi all,

sorry for starting another thread, when there is one similar not too far below, but I have some additional queries that I didn’t want to foul that thread with.

So I’ve installed Custom ROMS before including /e/OS but on different Phones and definitely not one that has the anti-rollback feature.
So My first issue is, it states in the Documentation that you cannot install a ROM that has an older security patch than the one currently on your system. My current Stock ROM has a patch from September, so this obviously means I cant install the the latest stable from /e/ as its latest is from august, So I guess I’ll have to wait to install and hold back any updates from Fairphone in the meantime. is this correct?

Well here in lies another issue! as the other user from the other thread stated, in the upgrade guide
it mentions that in order to update to /e/OS S you would need to be on android 12 stock , which doesn’t exist for the Fairphone 4 yet and probably wont for sometime, does this mean I cant install from fresh ( not upgrade!!) from current stock ROM android 11 to /e/OS S ? If this is the case then how can I install the older /e/OS R ? because all the android security patches will surely be older than my current patch on my stock ROM, conflicting with the above mentioned anti rollback.

finally the last question I have, If I install /e/OS and I have issues , then decide to return to stock How can I ? if the /e/OS ROM will android 12 and stock will be the older android 11, surely downgrading so to speak wouldn’t work ?

thankyou in advance for any advice given

2 Likes

Release notes for e-1.5-s are not yet published,
But release notes for e-1.5-r and e-1.5-q are talking about
security patch from september

Hi @GreyLinux, even if reluctantly, but I still have to say it: The /e/OS documentation is unfortunately still not correctly formulated for various devices, partly incomplete and irritating.

Currently, the Fairphone 4 5G (FP4) runs an Android 11-based operating system. It’s readily possible to install a /e/OS ‘S’ (dev or stable), even a 19.1 / 12.1 / S and 20.0 / 13.0 / T custom ROM based on LineageOS Android distribution code.

1 Like

Sorry, I was referring to the S mentioned in the install documentation , it states an August dates patch with the

e/OS build : S stable (Security patch: 2022-08-05)

I did look at the release notes and saw the mentioned r and q but even though both showed a September link the note above said

This /e/OS v1.5 includes the Android security patches available until August. More information in the link below.

So all this makes the situation even more confusing

Currently, the Fairphone 4 5G (FP4) runs an Android 11-based operating system. It’s readily possible to install a /e/OS ‘S’ (dev or stable), even a 19.1 / 12.1 / S and 20.0 / 13.0 / T custom ROM based on LineageOS Android distribution code.

This is good to know, thankyou. Is it possible to return back from a newer custom ROM to an older stock ROM ?

Why should you do this? Update the default firmware to the latest version and install /e/OS ‘S’ or a custom ROM another based on 19.1 / 12.1 / S or 20.0 / 13.0 / T.

Ha :laughing: yeah I have no intention of returning to a stock ROM just interested to know it possible.

Yes, it is possible at any time!

1 Like

Hello. I didn’t understand if the question is the security level of eOS A12. If it is, here’s my “numbers”:

If not, don’t consider this post. :upside_down_face:

1 Like