Hi from Japan. Lots of help needed

Konnichiwa!
Sorry, that I can not help!
But want to sent greetings from Germany to Japan. Have strong connection to your country as my wife is japanese. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi @Nyanzai welcome to the forum …always good to meet users from different countries. We do have a few users from Japan and other countries on the forum who have mentioned this issue with lack of support for more languages on the keyboard. Hope the detailed process mentioned by @smu44 works for you.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I would love to see Japanese keyboard support for the main keyboard on /e/ especially being able to input in romaji to kana/kanji like how a Japanese PC keyboard would work. Would make a MASSIVE difference to the experience as you use the keyboard for almost everything. Is there anything in the pipeline to include more language support?

Hi! I’m actually British but my husband is Japanese. I live here permanently :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I must admit I had a personal interest in installing split-apk in such way, so it can be a win-win :+1:

Please feel free to ask if something’s unclear !
I forgot to mention : unless you wanna play with other commands or tools while in root shell, this is totally harmless to your phone.

Why not give Android AOSP japanese keyboard a try ? :wink:

Search Aurora for “com.google.android.inputmethod.japanese”.
Once installed, it adds an icon, which is a simple guide to setup :

Once activated, it can be used by the language selection icon :

1 Like

I didn’t think of it mostly because of the “google” in the name. I’m mostly trying to stay away from google due to ethical reasons but also more and more privacy concerns. Are the other keyboards basically google code too? I don’t know much at all about android as this is my very first experience and the switch has been a lot tougher than I imagined (I’m so used to the ease of iphone) I’m sure I’ll get used to this but not sure how much I’m going to understand about the android system, codes, roots and what not hahaha. Soo much to learn it seems. Both my sister and my husband are developers so you’d think I’d know a bit about something but nooope haha :see_no_evil:

Fortunately you don’t need to be a developer to use /e/, leave that to others :smirk_cat:

Most of alternative Android ROM (all ?), including /e/, are based on Google AOSP project : they released Android source code to community to spread it. More readings here : https://www.androidexplained.com/aosp-android-open-source-project/
In short, /e/ devs “just” removed all the calls to Google servers, and some intrusive packages.

But AOSP lakes some features, and sometime we have to deal with Google …

As the Google Japanese AOSP keyboard is advertised as being able to operate without network, we can guess it doesn’t need Google server to work :wink:
AFAIK it has no logger and only one tracker : firebase, which is commonly used to report bugs, crashs, …

You may want to read about TrackerControl is this forum, they are plenty of posts :slight_smile:

Android vs iOS compares to Ubuntu Linux vs macOS : it works flawlessly out-of-the-box, but you can also dig under the hood and tune what you want, which is forbidden by Apple :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Thank you, I decided to use it. Shame I couldn’t choose one without any trackers but as we’d say in Japan “shoganai” (can’t be helped). Thank you so much for all your help so far!! I do have another problem…I’m trying to set up my calendar to be able to share with my husband, (he uses google calendar) and I read it could be done. I signed up for an /e/ account so I could use the calendar but for whatever reason it keeps telling me I can’t log in and I need to check the credentials (except I use a password manager so I know they are correct). Seems like /e/ is going a bit weird…

If you don’t want any communication between this keayboard and Google, you can simply go into Settings > Apps & notifications > See all > Google Japanese > Data > and remove all permissions to access the internet.

2 Likes

That one doesn’t even have a toggle for internet. Only storage. I gave it no permission anyway when I was setting it up.

Here ?

Aaah in data usage! Thanks was looking in permissions :slight_smile:

If I’m not misunderstanding, you have trouble accessing your /e/ account’s calendar from the app on your /e/ phone ?
That’s weird, indeed :frowning:

Normally you don’t have to setup Calendar, Notes, Tasks, … All is done automatically when adding your /e/ account.

Did you try to reboot your phone ?

It says this. I signed up for an e account though but it isn’t recognising it…!

Did you add the account to your /e/ phone ?
You can check in Accounts :

If not, please use “Add account” at bottom.
This one :

And, to be sure, reboot after adding the account.

1 Like

That’s exactly the problem. When I go to add the account it tells me my account isn’t recognised…or the password is wrong…yet I can log into the ecloud online with the password manager so it can’t be that…

It says “login failed. Please check your email and password”

I can login online to my account though, even though I also have this message under the login box online.

For your information you have to enter your full /e/mail address in lowercase (username@e.email for instance).

Are you sure your username (aka email) and password fulfill the requirements ?

Thank you!! That helped. Didn’t realise I couldn’t use capitals Or digits or symbols in my password. Managed to add my account now!! Thank you so much! Just to figure out how to sync our calendars now…