How screen unlocking works: Motion? Delay? Several presses?

Hello,

People have already reported slow unlocking on Fairphone without response. I am reporting here a similar issue on Murena 2 with /e/OS 1.20: I usually need 3-5 presses on the Power button + some phone motion, in order to light the screen. Which take up to 15 seconds. But TBH I don’t really get how we are expected to unlock the screen from standby.

For regular community users who understand how the screen unlocking works, I would be happy to get some explanations.

I have the feeling that rebooting the OS helps: after reboot, it’s much easier to unlock the phone. Let me see it’s that’s reproducible…

For people involved in /e/OS development, I am making 2 proposals:

• Add a new “gesture” allowing to light the phone in standby mode by double-taping the screen
  • Fix the button-unlocking: a single press on the power button should be sufficient to light the screen without delay. If you think that some users would not like it because they have different behaviours, at least make this customisable in the settings.

Just for of completeness: Try the app WaveUp from F-Droid. This app uses the approximation sensor which is in my FP3 somewhere on the top edge (you must find it on your phone). I can just bring my fingers there and the screen goes on in half a second. The use of my power button has been reduced by this onto a percent or even less compared to before.

Note: tapping actions are not so easy to use generally. Not every phone hardware can detect tapping (or old Blackberry swiping from the bottom) when the screen is off. That’s why many apps implement double tapping for switching the screen off but no one (?) does it for switching the screen on.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll try WaveUp!

tapping actions are not so easy to use generally.

If you’re talking about actual use, I think that’s very personal and depends on the way you use your phone. I used it all the time on my previous Samsung, that’s especially useful when the phone is on a table to checkout the clock or notifications in a second.

But concerning the implementation yes, I assume that it’s always more complicated than it should be :smiley:

I tried to tell you: tapping depends on the phone hardware, personal usage is something different. Most phones are not able to recognize a tap when the screen is off, that’s why there’s no general option for this in the OS. I mailed with the developer of WaveUp about this. This is also an energy saving thing.

2 Likes