How to enable HDMI output on USB-C

if I understood correctly Android 10 as standard will connect a HDMI monitor with the appropriate adapter to the phone on USB-C

It works on a Samsung Galaxy S8 (here u even have DEX which can replace a basic laptop/pc/tabket!)

It doesn’t work on my eOS fairphone3

Do we have to enable this somewhere?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Check the Fairphone site or phone info. Not all phones support external video. It’s a hardware thing. Doesn’t matter if it is USB-C or microUSB, Android 5 or Android 10/11. Of my devices, the Essential PH-1 (USB-C, /e/OS Pie), OnePlus 8T (USB-C, stock OxygenOS Android 11), and LG-G3 (microUSB, multiple ROMs - KitKat thru Oreo) have video out. The rest do not. Kind of a bummer considering my ZTE Axon 7, something of a multimedia device with dual front-firing speakers, Dolby ATMOS, and USB-C, has no video out.

Searching the web I get conflicting info. There’s no technical info from Fairphone showing it supports DisplayPort. There are articles out there saying you can use (or try) MHL or SlimPort adapters for video out. That can be an expensive what-if though.

I personally don’t think the Fairphone 3 supports video out. Maybe other FP users can say otherwise.

Hey thanks a ton! Yes the fairphone 3 doesn’t support it.

Otherwise I’d had a fair desktop solution as well…

Hi DEX lovers, did you find an answer to the question if /e/OS supports a secondary screen like on Samsung Dex? also Huawei has that feature now activated but it is in baby shoes, I wonder how the /e/OS support could be used for external keyboard, secondary screen and running apps on the secondary screen, for DEX it vbery good on Android 10, for Huawei it worked so so… now i am asking about eOS S = Android 12… any experience?

Follow this thread I try with success to use my FP4 eOS with desktop mode: Enable desktop mode on the Fairphone 4 5G - use it as a desktop, laptop or game streaming! - The Products - Fairphone Community Forum
It works without install any other app.

1 Like