How to import Google Keep notes into /e/

I still don’t have an /e/ compatible phone, but I want to start migrating all my Google data into the /e/ webservices in order to have as much as possible ready when I get my compatible phone.
I want to import my Google Keep notes into /e/ notes webservice, but I don’t see any ‘import’ button such as the one in the ‘contacts’ section (thanks @Manoj for the HOWTO on importing contacts), or maybe there’s no such possibility, I don’t know
If importing notes is possible, I would appreciate a small HOWTO on that, and if it isn’t as straightaway as importing contacts, it would be grate if you could make a small guide or explanation on how to do it too.

Thanks for the support

Hi @graz not sure there is a import setting in Keep. I used to use Google Keep Notes earlier and had only one note there. I copied it on an email and sent it to myself in /e/ and pasted it in the Notes app and deleted it from Keep. That ‘solved’ my problem :slight_smile:

/e/ uses the Nextcloud-Notes app for notes.
I am not aware that it provides an import functionality.

Perhaps this article helps: https://lettoknow.com/transfer-google-keep-notes-to-another-account/

Otherwise I would suggest Copy&Paste.

Thanks @Manoj The problem is that I have over 300 notes, many of them with pictures and links and most of them consisting of lists with this “check” icon, which means that I cant copy and paste the whole note, but I have to copy and paste every element of the list one by one, as well as the pictures, which seems crazy…

@Markus I’ve also seen in your article (thanks!) that there’s an option to download Google Data with Google Takeout. I’ve downloaded the Keep data, and the exported file consists of a list of all the notes in html, which are easy to copy and paste, links and pictures. The problem is that the links and pictures are not together in the same html file, but in some other part of the list, which means that I would have to find the picture (which are named by the date) with its matching text or link and copy both to a new note in /e/ notes. It looks like a bit of work, but I think that’s the best solution, at least for me. I hope this helps other people with the same problem

Thanks for your help

1 Like

I find Standard Notes to be a great open source and privacy focused alternative to Google Keep. It’s definitely not seamless but they have some import suggestions that might work for other note apps as well.

https://standardnotes.org/help/35/how-can-i-import-my-notes-from-google-keep

@graz, on other ROMs I’ve been using Joplin as a Google Keep alternative. Did the copy/paste thing but I only have a fraction of the notes you have.

I just came across another app called Carnet. In its description it says it can import Keep notes (on the desktop) and then sync to the mobile. At first thought I figured it could be a middleman to get your stuff onto Notes. Alas, since Notes has no import or FileOpen type of function that idea went phht. :ghost:
At the moment there’s no easy way to get your stuff moved over it seems.

Carnet (Powerful note taking app with sync and online editor) - https://f-droid.org/app/com.spisoft.quicknote

1 Like

Thanks anyway, @marcdw ! I’ll have a look on Carnet, as it looks it has a bit more functions than Notes.

HI @marcdw I’ve been trying to test Joplin and sync it with nextcloud, but it gives me “unknown error 2 (405)”.
This is what i write (maybe I write something wrong):

Nextcloud WebDAV Url: https://ecloud.global
Nextcloud username: my @e.email adress
Nextcloud password: my /e/ password

@graz, sorry for the late reply. I use Joplin on all of my microG setups but not with/on the /e/ ROMs (I didn’t have an account before). I use it with mydrive.ch. Today I’ll try Joplin with my /e/ account.
If I’m not mistaken Joplin needs a full path to where the notes are. For example in my case it’s https://WebDavHost/droid/Joplin. But that’s just a simple host. I’ll do a little research on Joplin with NextCloud, since ecloud is based on it, and give it shot. Will keep you posted.

Thanks, @marcdw I finally got Joplin synced, in both phone an desktop, but for some reason the notes weren’t synced the same… I prefer how Carnet looks like, as it resembles more to Keep, but although its Nextcloud sync works fine, I still have to work around importing notes from Keep. Apparently that is possible using the desktop version, but it looks like there’s only availabel for Linux.

Yeah, I just tried Joplin successfully but had it point to the existing Notes directory as a test. It synced its manual okay but doesn’t see the existing notes. In the Notes app those synced items showed up but in an incompatible format. Ugh.

Yeah, again. I just noticed the Carnet desktop software is for Linux, too. My computers with Linux are collecting dust now. Only one Windows laptop in service for unlocking, rooting, and unbricking service.

Maybe what you could do is setup one of those flashdrive-based Linux distros. Given the amount of Keep data you have that might be the only solution.

Thanks @marcdw, but as a newbie I think I will spend less time coping and pasting everything than doing the Linux flashdrive thing… it’s a pitty that Carnet doesn’t have a web platform or Mac app, that would actually make the copy-paste process lighter than doing it on the phone…

Hey guys, I was with the same problem and had almost 250 notes, so I used the magical power of programming and made a python script that read the google keep backup and transform into a bunch of md files separated into label folders because I’m using nextcloud notes.

You can download the script here:

You will need python 3 to execute it and to put this file in the same folder as the “Keep” folder that contains the html and json files. I’m using linux, there is some instructions how to use it executing the script with option -h:

# give permission to execute
chmod +x convert-keep-notes-to-md.py
# run helper
./convert-keep-notes-to-md.py -h
# the configuration that i used was that
./convert-keep-notes-to-md.py -p -l -s

This script read the json files to create the md files, I don’t read any documentation about this json structure, only make it work with my notes so it could miss something of your notes.

I hope that it cold be useful to you too!

2 Likes