For the first time, I see myself in the situation to do an OS replacement because the current version doesn’t get updates anymore for looong time already.
Can I go from currrently installed 0.23 (Android 9) ti 1.8.1 (latest stable version available) directly?
I don’t find the “easy installer” on Linux Mint xfce (my home PC) and the bash script offered on the website doesn’t work on it either. It stucks in the beginning, not “knowing” that “fastboot” needs to be executed as admin. I am not familiar with bash script so I wouldn’t change anythin in it…
So my plan B is using the installation at work (I work with wireless modems R&D): Just flash the images contained in the .zip manually (MS DOS batch) as I did it with the first installation. (see below)
Experts: Will this work or is there a completely different partition table or whatever and this will brick my phone? I know from our modems that not every change in SW is possible. I have QPST and similar tools available at work.
yes as in it’s just another rom flash, but your userdata very very likely will not be able to migrate. I tried in the past and solved some bugs, but overall not worth the time - make backups and restore or just start fresh
partition table will not change for the lifetime of the device. Haven’t flashed the FP3 individually for a longer time now, but usually I just resort to sideloading the one zip and be done. It will flash to the inactive slot in the A/B scheme so orient yourself within fastboot to not get confused. In doubt you can flash both slots to parity (some sideloadable scripts can do this for you too)
Thank you for helping.
With the hints, I got the easy installer working on Linux Mint.
Now I’m still struggling to re-activate Telegram (strangely don’t receive SMS but otherwise SMS works, tested) and KIA charge app.
SOLVED Telegram: used “Telegram x” instead of formerly used “Telegram FOSS” and received the necessary SMS. yeah … connected again KIA Charge: “Advanced Privacy” is so friendly to block all trackers by default. For this app, I needed so setup an exception → works!