How to upgrade UNOFFICIAL old version to newest version of /e/os?

Hi, I use an UNOFFICIAL very old version of /e/os on my Mototorla Moto G7 plus:
“e-0.9-p-20200606-UNOFFICIAL-lake”.
When I installed it no community version was available.
As such I got no update since then, so it is high time to to change it and use something more secure.
Can I use the community guide for that device or do I need to do something more or less or simply different in order to get the latest version available?
For example can/should I skip steps where the is the tip:
“The steps below only need to be run once per device.”
?
Thank you in advance.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/lake/install

First check if motorola provide newer android version than android 9 (pie) for that device…
Edit : according to https://www.gsmarena.com android 9 (pie) is the latest

Yes !

Thank you very much!
Do I need to install a newer version of TWRP or I can use the one already instalked (if I remember well)?

the one already installed, 3.3.1-0 must work well on this, device generation,

if needed :
twrp-3.3.1-0-lake.img.
recovery-e-2.1-t-20240605406922-dev-lake.img

Hi, it came out that I have not the twrp installed. I tried to follow the process with the installed cusom recovery. The process actually stops at 47% but at that prompt an alert om the phone appears complaining about missing signature. I asked ‘yes’ to the question if I want to continue the process is aborted.
I tried to install the newest e-recovery, but the result is the same…

What was the recovery software that helped you to install e-0.9-p ?

Leaving e-0.9-p, you need to format /data previous to install e-2.1-t

If you mean " Format data / Factory reset" from the recovery mode, I did. But the result was that… Actually was “wipe data”, but I suppose is the same
I suspect somenting wired with my device:

• while formatting I get an error "failed to bind mount /mnt/staging/emulated/0/media/0 on /storage/emulated/0 no such file or directory.
  • the ricovery mode is to the same as the one pictured on the guide: it has lineageOS logo insted of “e” one.
  • not all item on the guide are available on my recovery: no way to update from other media. May be becuase file system is not properly mounted. Any problem with the sdcard?
    Dont know what to do/try…

I can’t help more today, i have to go…

Thank you! you have been already too kind.

Wipe data in TWRP is lower spec than Format. For this jump and in light of the other error please try Format data.

Quite possible if the SD card is installed as part of Internal storage. Much preferred to have SD card as “Portable” or External.

I’m to using TWRP but e-recovery…

Sorry, I was making the point that it is known that wipe and Format are different (in that case).I thought e-recovery only did Format as this is the safe option. But you actually describe Lineage recovery. I feel that there is something wrong in the “clean up” process.

Are you aware of Rescue and Smart Assistant Tool, https://en-us.support.motorola.com/app/rsa this would be a way of getting a clean start, and ensuring you are on latest firmware.

1 Like

May it work in case of fastboot bootlock?.. That’s may case now :frowning:

I never used it. You might ask their support.

It will depend a bit whether the tool uses a “lower level” tool to flash the SoC.

I speculate that a “safe” version of EDL might be included in the tool. (We see this with the OnePlus “rescue” tool.)

I am sure it is worth more research as it has seemed from other reports that Moto do not give user support for EDL if /when the user reports it bricked.

• I didn’t realize that the phone model is actually only TEMORARY bootable from recovery. Still I was not able to boot from the newest e-recovery ( recovery-e-2.1-t-20240605406922-dev-lake.img ).
  • Tried with TWRP and actually I did was able to temporary boot from that one, but still I didnt manage to install the system. I managed to permanently install it by using the TWRP menu. Still non luck in installing /e/os: tried with the copied file and from sideload.
  • then something went wrong, probably I selected the wrong slot from inside TWRP.
  • Now the phone is ‘stuck’ in fastboot: I can ‘see’ it with fastboot devices, but I don’t know what to do…

Any help?

Hi

I don’t have experience with Motorola phones running /e/ but if it’s visible with fastboot devices it means you can install a custom recovery.
If e-recovery doesn’t work you can try other recoveries (maybe Lineage OS)…

Well I solved the problem with fastboot: as i suspected the problem was on the wrong slot.
I issued fastboot set_active other and I could boot TWRP again.
The main problem still remain though: both step 8) and 9) of the installation guide end with an error as soon as I flash the downloaded zip. No detail are given…
NB: I followed exactly the steps, but I encountered only two differences:

• no intial warning about keeping twrp read-only
  • no cache partition i the ‘wipe list’.

UPDATE:

• I repeated the process with the previose versionof /e/os ( still android T based): no success
  • …the same with the oldest available version ( android Q based): no success
  • I tried with the previously installed version ( UNOFFICIAL android P based ): SUCCESS!

So the problem seam to be with installing ‘recent’ version of /e/os. Do I need to upgrade my phone firmware? Can anybody confirm it, and tell me how to proceed?
According to this:
https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-g7-plus-xt1965-3
there sould be an android 10 stock rom: Do I need to install it? how?

My suggestion in Post #12 should do the trick. I see that it is also mentioned here https://doc.e.foundation/pages/revert_motorola_to_stock_on_windows.

I notice that the lake install page does not mention an actual needed firmware for your device but for all devices, where /e/ can provide an Android version ahead of the manufacturer, it is required that the device has been flashed with the latest firmware.

Actually I did the upgrade with that tool. Still no luck:

• e-recovery it is not bootable: just hangs on logo and bootlock
  • twrp it is actually bootable but I’m not able to restart in recovery after the format (as expoeced from the guide): I get “no command” and bootlock
  • I tried to reboot temporary again and install the system, but process give an error…