How will /e/ update from Android Oreo to Pie work?

Will it work with a normal OTA update or do I need to manually flash/update something?

Will my settings and my apps stay?

1 Like

As far as I know, there will be no OTA.
But you can try a manual update. On some devices it’s working on some not.
If manual update is working, your settings/apps will stay.

On some devices you have to go back to stock rom first and than flash new e-pie. In this case you have to backup you apps, with oandbackup or titanium backup pro first. Some settings and all cloud data from e.drive will be back after first sync.

Anyway which way you will / have to go make a backup first.

Quite weird that the automatic OTA update doesn’t work. What if someone bought a smartphone with the pre-installed /e/? Does he/she need to install /e/ manually? And even Stock ROM? The user experience is really bad if this is true.

Even other Custom ROMs, such as LineageOS, works via OTA. And the /e/ is based on LineageOS.

Sorry, that is out of my knowledge. Hope @manoj is able to answer your question

We tested a number of devices and found that the best way to upgrade was to flash stock Pie and then the /e/ Pie. There were devices which went into boot loop when directly flashed with Pie ROM’s. It is bad user experience but unfortunately it is the only option we have at the moment.

Has some tested it on the refurbished phones ? Is there also no update (OTA or manual) working ?

Do not think we have built Pie builds for Samsung phones as yet.

Ah, OK, just seen, that there is no LOS16 above S5

We also had some development going on on a tool through which the user could setup / flash the /e/ builds easily. Do not have any ETA’s on it as yet. That would help ease user concerns to some extent.

1 Like

What’s the reason that you can’t directly update to /e/ Pie via OTA? What causes the bootloop?

And why then /e/ sells smartphones with preloaded /e/ if the user still has to mess with the phone and flash the Stock ROM to do a simple version upgrade?

/e/ Team should definitely look into this. Basically, you are selling phones that will break/brick if the user don’t know how the update.

And then the website is also misleading:

https://e.foundation/get-support/#faq

Does /e/ have a simple way for updating the system regularly ?

Yes – a simple 1-click (well, that may be 2 or 3!) “over the air” update feature is available in settings.

Why does /e/ lie about this on their website if the OTA update does not even work?

2 Likes

Please read the website details carefully before making such accusations. There are no OTA updates which break devices on our supported device list. The two devices which have /e/ official Pie updates have detailed instructions on how to install them.

Also in case you browse the forum and check out topics on test Pie builds made by members from the community you would see that the bootloop happens when stock ROM of previous versions are installed. That means on a stock pie build if you try to flash stock Oreo or nougat builds that can cause a bootloop. This was what we tested and informed our users.

That means on a stock pie build if you try to flash stock Oreo or nougat builds that can cause a bootloop.

What does /e/ has to do if someone flashes Stock ROM over Stock ROM?

A stock rom is a original google android rom which is on your device when you get it from manufacturer, Samsund for example.
And here we never talked about flashing original samsung rom over original Samsung rom. We have talked about flashing a custom.ron (e) over a custom ron (e) and flashing a custom rom (e) over a Samsumsung original rom

And here we never talked about flashing original samsung rom over original Samsung rom.

That’s why asked it.

Sorry, i’m confusted now. As I have understand you have talked about updating e-oreo to e-pie

We tested a number of devices and found that the best way to upgrade was to flash stock Pie and then the /e/ Pie. There were devices which went into boot loop when directly flashed with Pie ROM’s. It is bad user experience but unfortunately it is the only option we have at the moment.

even if we have to accept this compromise right now cause of unavoidable technical constraints, it still would be a significant improvement, to reduce this inconvenient workarounds to the absolute minimum and provide at least further OTA updates once the upgrade from oreo to pie is done on the device.

unfortunately that’s not the case in the unofficial pie test images right now, and it makes the testing resp. curious beta use of this prerelease images more laborious than necessary.

My experience flashing Stock ROM <> LineageOS <> LineageOS-for-mircoG <> / e / OS (back and forth, back and forth) is very good by way. So far I never have bootloops…

Remember: An upgrade from LineageOS 15.1 to LOS 16.0 could also not be done via OTA. But with TWRP Recovery the installation was a snap.

Upgrades from Android StockROM 4.4.2 / 5.0 / 6.0 directly to LOS16 or /e/OS (e-0.7-n-) have always been done without errors. Even an upgrade from LineageOS-for-mircoG to UNOFFICIAL e-Pie TestROM was performed without errors. Maybe I’m just lucky and have the right phones to the right destination? ;o)
Anyway: I am satisfied with /e/OS at the moment and expect it to get even better.

On my self-flashed phones with OFFICIAL Nightly (e-0.7-n-) the update of /e/OS via OTA has always worked perfectly.

different firmwares, so a high chance that your sim will not work like here users reports in this topic Redmi Note 5 pro - Camera not working and Sim card not getting detected - #22 by Unknown

1 Like

Usually I find these discussions useful, but in this case I have to say that I agree with @harvey186 - I am really confused by this discussion.

I thought the /e/ phones are meant to be phones that ordinary laymen can use and manage. I am probably closer to that kind of user than most of the people on this forum.

After reading this discussion, all I can think is, “What!?”

1. I have a phone with /e/ on it - How will I know which kinds of updates work OTA, and which don’t?
  2. How will I know when there is a stock OS upgrade for my device? Will I get some kind of notification?
  3. If there is a stock OS upgrade for my device, how will I know if there is an upgrade of /e/ that incorporates that stock OS upgrade for my device?
  4. If there is an upgrade of /e/ available for my device due to an upgrade of the stock OS, where do I go to find the instructions to do that upgrade for my device?

This makes a simple user like me very nervous. People who know less than I do are not going to stand for this. Or am I seriously misunderstanding what is being discussed here?

(I had always assumed that it would be a simple OTA process…)

1 Like