[HOWTO] Add a gmail ID from the mail app

I know the idea behind /e/ is to de-google the mobile OS but we have to admit that most of us are still using Gmail ID’s . We have received a number of queries from users on how to add a google email ID through the mail app. So here is a simple HOWTO post.

Step 1;
Open the email app. Click on the 3 dots menu on top right. This pop should open. In there you would see the ‘Add account’ option. Click the option

Step 2:
The Add account will open this screen. Here you enter your Gmail ID. Click ‘NEXT’

Step 3:
This will take you to Google’s log in page. Where you enter your credentials - gmail ID and password.

Sep 4;
Once the correct gmail ID and password are entered it will show you a message ‘Please wait’ when it validates your ID. You will have to authorize allow the app to access your gmail account. Click the ‘Allow’ button.

Step 5:
Once the account is validated you will come to this screen where you give an account name (optional) and type a name which will be displayed on outgoing mail.

Step 6:
Finally the Gmail folder will be created in your mail app and show you the number of emails in your account. You can also add an account from Settings >>User & account >> Add account >> Google

1 Like

@Manoj,

Some users might ask what advantage the user gains when they retrieve their email from the Gmail servers using the IMAP protocol from an email client such as the one included in /e/?

I can think of at least two. The most obvious one is the consolidation of email into a single email client. A less obvious put perhaps more critical from the privacy perspective is that when you read your Gmail with the mobile Gmail app or with the Gmail web client, each time you click a link within a message, Google wraps the URL with trackers that collect more information about you. You can see for yourself when using web Gmail (watch the address bar carefully as you click a link in Gmail and you will see the extraneous info that gets pre-pended to the URL that your correspondent sent.)

I know this is not rocket science, but it is one small step in the direction of ensuring that your data remains YOUR data.

Regards,

David

The information on this post is outdated. To add a Google ID to your /e/OS smartphone pl check this guide on the Documentation site.