[HOWTO] an Unified Install Guide Project for /e/

Please see here : https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/tools/easy-installer/-/wikis/Support-new-device

I know this page, but don’t understand how to use it,
can we add those two files into a folder of an existing easy-installer, or have we to build an new easy-installer including new device config files ?

You may ask authors, I don’t use Easy Installer :wink:
BTW, Easy Installer threads : Easy Installer - /e/ community

nice work !
I just installed /e/ on a Moto X4, it was such a pain …until I used an old DELL laptop, with USB3 but it was working like a charm
I was stuck for hours to copy the TWRP.img with fastboot, but if I read something about testing with another PC hardware I would saved hours !

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/payton/install

These were the settings from LineageOS 15.1, which was Android 8.1, on the Fairphone 2, I don’t know how much they help here.
It should at least be clearly mentioned here that they are not /e/OS settings, and not recent.

1 Like

i have never experienced fastboot, so help is needed editing this guide !

thank you.
piero.

Edit : you can propose me some additions by direct messages (hitting the user avatar in any post)

1 Like

I have added some details to the ‘Sony’ specific section for unlocking the bootloader. And information about getting the device IMEI to the 'standard / common devices steps` section

1 Like

And some more on flashing stock firmware on Sony devices

I’m not sure where in the guide to put this information, so I’ll just leave it here, and let someoe else decide where it should go

Useful key combinations for Sony devices

This page on the the Sony Developer website lists some useful key combinations

• Fastboot mode: (for flashing recovery, or using other fastboot commands): Make sure your phone is turned off. Insert the USB cable into yor PC. Press and hold Volume down key, then insert the USB cable. The LED will light blue to show you are in fastboot mode
  • Flash mode: (for when using FlashTool) Make sure your phone is turned off. Insert the USB cable into your PC. Press and hold Volume down key, then insert the USB cable. The LED will light green to show you are in flash mode
  • Recovery mode: Make sure your phone is turned off and unplug your device from the PC. Press Volume down and Power keys together. The phone should vibrate once, then boot into recovery

In addition, the following can be useful, if you need to reboot or power off your phone, but it is not responding to screen or key presses:

• Hard reboot: Press and hold Volume (in the middle, not up or down) and Power keys - after a few seconds the device will vibrate. Release the keys and the device will attempt to reboot
  • Hard power off: Press and hold Volume and Power keys as for Hard reboot. Continue holding the keys after the first vibration until the device vibrates three times in quick succession. Release the keys and the device will be powered off

I have installed /e/ in my xiaomi A1, everything was right, as in the instructions, except that unlocking was simpler than in the instructions. it’s a pity I didn’t read it before, it would have spared some time.
I have one question: should I/can I lock the uploader again after installing /e/ or is it necessary to be unlocked to load updates?
thanks!

YOU CAN’T !
risk is bricking your device.

Wait, do i understand you correctly - we should not lock the bootloader after installing /e/ beacuse there is arisk of bricking the device? Any device or just some?

yes all devices exept Fairphone 3 and 4

1 Like

Good tutorial! Thank you!

I started to wonder one thing: is custom recovery really necessary for sideloading through adb? When i go into stock recovery (Note 10+), there is an alternative of choosing ‘sideload through adb’, or something like that. But i guess that would be too easy? Device would brick?

only offficial samsung stuff are allowed by stock recovery
it will just don’t work for any custom binaries

1 Like

Figured something like that.

Can you then flash stock rom through adb with twrp or e-recovery installed?

i have never experienced this way, i always used Odin for stock firmware
(i never boot my computer to windows except for that task)

2 Likes

Locking the bootloader after installing /e/OS is possible on more devices than just Fairphones 3/3+ and 4.

In general locking the bootloader after installing /e/OS is possible for a device if the command line install instructions for the device available via https://doc.e.foundation/devices include this step.
How to avoid bricking the device (if that risk exists) should be included in those instructions, too, the Fairphone 4 instructions are an example for this.

1 Like

I think i quite well know the logic of samsug decices (that are typical), but i cannot speak further about others familly of devices (fastboot), so, some parts of the guide are empty…

please improve those parts ! for example :

Hello,

It would be nice to write in the installation guide that an orange warning message will remain after installation and that it is not a problem.
It would avoid unnecessary worry !
Thanks

1 Like