[HOWTO] Build /e/ without docker for non LineageOS supported devices

i want try e Rom because i dont want use google services. I would like to be a redmi note 9s E Rom maintainer if i build for this device. I’ve been looking for a long time for a rom like this

@andrelam am I right, the script isn’t working anymore because of changed docker command / image?
If yes, could you please update the post?

No, script from github works, only OTA is not working. I have a fix for that, but did not push to github.

Where can I find the script on github?

here I’m planning do push an update today to fix OTA url, if you don’t have custom OTA server you can use the script as-is.

Thanks. I’ve pulled the latest version. When I build I get the error reported in this post

Any idea how to fix?

I’ve just seen this commit
I’m running the previous version - is it likely to fail because it doesn’t have the changes? It didn’t seem to mind having export DEVICE... rather than export DEVICE_LIST...

No, they both work. If you don’t use OTA you can use the master branch as well.

as far as I know the ‘latest’ isn’t working anymore. Best using ‘community’

How calls to /e/ OTA server infrastructure should be removed for custom/unofficial builds ?
Is export OTA_URL=’’ in the build script doing it ?

I don’t know what happens when you pass an empty string, i never checked because i use a custom OTA.

@andrelam are you able to show how to set up an ota URL. I have searched without success

You install this on your server (you can skip the docker stuff if you want). Then you set the URL: https://yoururlxyz.org/api. I got trouble using php 7.4, so I guess it’s better to use older version, 5.6.

Thanks for that @andrelam

Hey Nikoleos. Nice that you own the pretty xiaomi davinci.

Do you have any progress?

Which branch of the builde.sh script should I use: master or community? Thanks

You can use master, community is not up to date.

1 Like

There are two ways to extract the proprietary vendor files:

1. Extract from an existing LineageOS ROM - see this guide on the LineageOS website
  2. Extract from a device, running either a Stock ROM, or a custom ROM

If you can enable Android debugging and rooted debugging in the Developer Settings, then the method described here may work

To enable the Developer Settings, go to ‘Settings > About Phone’ and tap seven times on the `Build number’ field

It seems that there is an Android 9 / PIe GSI (Generic System Image) that works on this device - see this thread on XDA Forums. It looks like most things work on it.

According to that thread, it needs to be flashed on top of an earlier Lineage 15 / oreo GSI although this other article about installing it seems to imply that is not necessary.

I have no useful experience with GSIs, but search in these forums to find out more. If those Lineage GSIs work on your device, then it should be possible to build an /e/ GSI. But I would definitely start with the Lineage GSI.

Good luck!