[HOWTO] Download every app in the Google Play Store thanks to Aurora Store

So basically you’re saying the aurora store is fine as long as we don’t install updates on native apps?

Hello there. I just got my FP3+ with /e/ yesterday and ran into this exact problem. It would seem that the Aurora store updates microG services and die PDF app, but then the updates just keep popping up again, and when I checked, the version numbers of both hadn’t changed, so I guess the update failed.

I am unsure as to whether something might be broken now because I actually did install a bunch of updates, and now I read what @sugit has written.

Is there any way to check whether I broke future updates to any preinstalled app? I now blacklisted them just in case, but I am unsure whether there might not have been a standard app in the update list where the update actually worked.

Simply blacklist (long-press) apps that won’t update, in Aurora.
They are system apps, so can’t and shouldn’t be upgraded.
It should be ok for the /e/-provided apps that you could update, as they are standard apps :slight_smile:

OK, will try this.
But I would really like to have a good manual for this, like, if you install Aurora Store, then do this and don’t do that to keep your /e/ healthy.
I agree with @molej : It seems it is now a nerdy thing, it should also be clear for non-techies. Or half-techies like me :wink:

I agree with you, we may ask @Anonyme to update the HowTo :wink:
I didn’t remember what core component was @molej talking about.
Anyway now (from 0.12 I believe) it’s harmless : important apps are kinda “protected” from update, so this is just some annoying popups from Aurora.

1 Like

Aurora fooled me to replace MicroG with Google version, reboot = no go.

Yeah kind of stupid of me but a easily done by a newbie.

Nice to hear it is fixed. If it is. This happened me on the q beta of /e/ for FP3.

Hello, the update has been done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Upon first choosing to use the anonymous account or my own Google account, I am warned that using the Google account via Aurora could result in problems like the account being blocked. Is this a “just in case” warning, or does this actually happen? I ask because I have one or two paid apps that I use.

I never heard anybody facing any ban, but it could happen because Aurora Store is against Google’s Terms of Use, so there is a warning.

Great, thanks a lot for clarifying this.
To make it even better, could there maybe a link to a page with up-to-date list of the relevant system apps?
For newbies, the advice must be: “after installing Aurora Story, immediately blacklist these apps”.

Can I be of help to make such a list? Earlier someone referred me to android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks Repository, but I think that is not the correct list, it is too long and otoh. not complete; these apps should maybe also be part:

• MicroG Services Core
  • Android Keyboard (AOSP)
  • Calculator
  • Clock
  • Contacts
  • Files
  • Gallery
  • Music
  • Phone
  • Recorder
  • Settings
  • Sim Toolkit
  • Magic Earth
  • Pdf Viewer Plus

Perhaps certain /e/-system apps are re-named/forked from other apps that are available on AuroraStore, and installing the AuroraStore version would result in breaking the /e/-version? Which ones?

3 Likes

Good evening, I installed the Aurora app with Blokada deactivated, then it all works fine. When I activate blokada again, I see a link to ‘android.clients.google.com’. When I block this link, the Aurora app does not open anymore.

Since the common goal here is to avoid Google, is there an option to use Aurora with blocking this link? Or, is this link now less harmful, since I logged on with the ‘Anomynous’ account? I assume Google can still retrieve information about my device?

Thanks.

As aurora app is a client downloading apps from Google app store it won’t work when you block this access.
If you want to avoid this use Apps app or F-Droid (if you find there what you need).
Yes, it’s less harmful with the anonymous account.

Thank you, I need a banking app that is not available in the other stores. So, I am going to consider what the best choice is. Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Is it expected that Tracker Control blocks Aurora Store internet access ?

Should I remove the block ? Is it safe for the privacy ?

Thanks again for this post and fine manual for using Aurora store. My question for the techies:
I want to urgently use a paid app (i.c. Collins Bird Guide.), so that would only work if I login with my Google account in Aurora. What are the privacy / safety implications of doing that for one app? Would that jeopardize my compete /e/, or is it just the communication of that app (which maybe I can limit with it’s permissions.

1 Like

Another question : when installing my banking app from Aurora (not available elsewhere, and just getting the apk from my old phone didn’t work) I am warned that ‘this app requires GSF’, which i understand as ‘Google Services Framework’.
Does this means that GSF is installed along with the app? Or that the presets in /e/ will (try to) replace it by default?
This is a real go/no go for me, and I’d like to know how to check if I mistakenly installed GSF…
Thank you!!

1 Like

“Faked” by microG service

2 Likes

Thank you @kisman172 !!

I’m utilizing LineageOS w/ MicroG on my OnePlus 9 Pro while awaiting an /e/ build for the device…should I blacklist Google Play Services updates on Aurora there as well? Or does that work differently with Lineage.

Yes. It’s faked by microG

1 Like