[HOWTO] Download every app in the Google Play Store thanks to Aurora Store

Thanks again for this post and fine manual for using Aurora store. My question for the techies:
I want to urgently use a paid app (i.c. Collins Bird Guide.), so that would only work if I login with my Google account in Aurora. What are the privacy / safety implications of doing that for one app? Would that jeopardize my compete /e/, or is it just the communication of that app (which maybe I can limit with it’s permissions.

1 Like

Another question : when installing my banking app from Aurora (not available elsewhere, and just getting the apk from my old phone didn’t work) I am warned that ‘this app requires GSF’, which i understand as ‘Google Services Framework’.
Does this means that GSF is installed along with the app? Or that the presets in /e/ will (try to) replace it by default?
This is a real go/no go for me, and I’d like to know how to check if I mistakenly installed GSF…
Thank you!!

1 Like

“Faked” by microG service

2 Likes

Thank you @kisman172 !!

I’m utilizing LineageOS w/ MicroG on my OnePlus 9 Pro while awaiting an /e/ build for the device…should I blacklist Google Play Services updates on Aurora there as well? Or does that work differently with Lineage.

Yes. It’s faked by microG

1 Like

Is there a method to allow for IAPs and license validation within /e/? Most of the guides I’ve found use outdated, patched Play Stores which appear to no longer work.

No, not possible. Play Store is a requirement.

I have only one modern device with Android 11 (JaguarAndroid). On my next day off I’m going to change ROMs and do a setup with the patched Play Store and see if in-app stuff works as it does on older Androids.

Hello! All of this makes sense. Aurora is pretty handy. One question I have regarding apps that I have already installed using the /e/ App store:

The /e/ App store is ‘legit’, but tends to have apps that are slightly out of date. I’m currently waiting for an update to Signal and a VPN client, for example

The Aurora app store seems to be quite willing to update these existing apps. Are there any implications to me allowing Aurora to do this? Am I giving it control of these apps somehow? What would happen if I removed the Aurora App Store application - would the /e/ App Store eventually pick these ones up again and continue updating them? Apologies if this isn’t a very intelligent question, I’m not very familiar with how App stores and APKs interact

(ps happy new year!)

Hello, and bet wishes for 2022 !

Both store apps relies on Android Package Manager to get installed apps & versions, so both can update an outdated app regardless of which store installed it previously.

1 Like