Hi there !
If you have a “modern” Windows 10 computer with USB 3.x ports, you may be facing the following issues with fastboot commands :
- smartphone disconnecting unexpectedly
- device rebooting unexpectedly
- flash operation never ending during upload
- smartphone “frozen” with/without a strange message on screen
It happened, to me and others, with Xiaomi smartphones but can also happen with any Qualcomm-based device. I don’t know about MediaTek devices, please comment if you are aware of.
Of course, you’ll have to check the following first :
- Windows drivers : please refer to the /e/ guides , you brand support website, or XDA. Note that some generic drivers exists.
- adb/fastboot version (please be aware that some MediaTek devices may have problems with latest 31.x)
- USB cable : sometimes the provided USB cable is okay for flashing, sometimes not (it’s a charging-only cable). Better buy a high quality data cable, they only cost a few bucks (and you’ll have a spare charging cable )
- if you’re lucky enough to have USB 2.x ports, try them !
At the end, you may facing a known problem, very specific to Windows 10 and USB 3.x.
Then try the following :
- take a backup of your Windows system, or at least of your registry (many doc & tools available)
- disconnect smartphone from USB
- create a new file (let’s say “fastboot_USB3.bat”), and enter the following content :
@echo off reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\18D1D00D0100" /v "osvc" /t REG_BINARY /d "0000" /f reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\18D1D00D0100" /v "SkipContainerIdQuery" /t REG_BINARY /d "01000000" /f reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\18D1D00D0100" /v "SkipBOSDescriptorQuery" /t REG_BINARY /d "01000000" /f pause
- save it, and run it as Administrator (right clic)
- reboot Windows
- reconnect smartphone to USB 3.x
- retry your fastboot operation
Kudos to MI MIX 3 Global Community on Telegram !