|HOWTO] Fix fastboot when using Windows 10 & USB 3

Hi there !

If you have a “modern” Windows 10 computer with USB 3.x ports, you may be facing the following issues with fastboot commands :

• smartphone disconnecting unexpectedly
  • device rebooting unexpectedly
  • flash operation never ending during upload
  • smartphone “frozen” with/without a strange message on screen

It happened, to me and others, with Xiaomi smartphones but can also happen with any Qualcomm-based device. I don’t know about MediaTek devices, please comment if you are aware of.

Of course, you’ll have to check the following first :

• Windows drivers : please refer to the /e/ guides , you brand support website, or XDA. Note that some generic drivers exists.
  • adb/fastboot version (please be aware that some MediaTek devices may have problems with latest 31.x)
  • USB cable : sometimes the provided USB cable is okay for flashing, sometimes not (it’s a charging-only cable). Better buy a high quality data cable, they only cost a few bucks (and you’ll have a spare charging cable :wink: )
  • if you’re lucky enough to have USB 2.x ports, try them !

At the end, you may facing a known problem, very specific to Windows 10 and USB 3.x.
Then try the following :

• take a backup of your Windows system, or at least of your registry (many doc & tools available)
  • disconnect smartphone from USB
  • create a new file (let’s say “fastboot_USB3.bat”), and enter the following content :
@echo off
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\18D1D00D0100" /v "osvc" /t REG_BINARY /d "0000" /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\18D1D00D0100" /v "SkipContainerIdQuery" /t REG_BINARY /d "01000000" /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\18D1D00D0100" /v "SkipBOSDescriptorQuery" /t REG_BINARY /d "01000000" /f

pause
  • save it, and run it as Administrator (right clic)
  • reboot Windows
  • reconnect smartphone to USB 3.x
  • retry your fastboot operation

Kudos to MI MIX 3 Global Community on Telegram !

3 Likes

Still have to search what to do in case of Linux. I am using Manjaro and faces the same.problem as with Windows 10. Anyone experience with that?

As I could find on the Internet, if you don’t want to play with kernel patches or udev rules, your best bet is to get your hand on an USB2 hub (they’re cheap nowadays :slight_smile: ).

Here is the solution for linux

$ lsusb
$ echo 'ID:k' | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/quirks # ID is the id of your phone device of previous command in format xxxx:xxxx