[HOWTO] Flash /e/ OS on an A/B partitioned device (OnePlus 6T with Android 10)

Hello @Fluf,

Your “howto” sould be the official documentation as soon as possible :wink:

martoni

2 Likes

Hey, it’s me again. Since we pushed the zip file in the /storage/ folder, it’s not in the /root folder but rather in the folder named /storage. Is that ok to flash it from there instead of /root?

[EDIT] It seems that it worked! TWRP recovery is now installed and when I boot in recovery, I get the TWRP home screen without PIN.

(this reply was not sent, so here it is again)
It’s actually just “Settings → About” :wink:
I’m currently following the how-to step by step, that’s why I’m commenting it bits by bits…

1 Like

HELP, I don’t have any “Sideload” on my Lineage recovery… :cold_sweat:
Is it rather “Apply update” then “Apply from ADB”?

Yes, that’s exactly that !

1 Like

Thanks! Lineage recovery is not as straightforward as TWRP…
But, IT WORKED !!! I now have a beautiful eOS installed on my OnePlus 6T! Thank you for this brilliant how-to!!!

2 Likes

After 3 retires, able to flash it successfully on OnePlus 6T

fastboot boot /Users/chandrasekar/Downloads/twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-Q-mauronofrio.img
adb devices <should return device name>
adb push /Users/chandrasekar/Downloads/twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip /sdcard
TWRP Home > Wipe > Factory Reset
TWRP Home > Install > twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip -- Swipe to install >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Reboot > Recovery
adb push /Users/chandrasekar/Downloads/OnePlus6TOxygen_34_OTA_024_all_1909112343_d5b1905.zip /sdcard
TWRP Home > Install > OnePlus6TOxygen_34_OTA_024_all_1909112343_d5b1905 -- Swipe to install >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Install > twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip -- Swipe to INstall >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Reboot - Selected Slot is A > Recovery
TWRP Home > Reboot - Selected Slot should be B
TWRP Home > Install > OnePlus6TOxygen_34_OTA_024_all_1909112343_d5b1905 -- Swipe to install >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Install > twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip -- Swipe to INstall >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Reboot - Selected Slot should be B
adb push /Users/chandrasekar/Downloads/e-0.9-p-2020051454091-dev-fajita.zip /sdcard
TWRP Home > Install > e-0.9-p-2020051454091-dev-fajita.zip -- Swipe to Install >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Reboot > Recovery -- Should boot to Lineage OS recovery.
Lineage OS Recovery > Factory Reset
Apply Update > Apply from ADB
adb sideload /Users/chandrasekar/Downloads/twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip
Lineage OS Recovery > Advanced > Revoot to Recovery -- should boot to TWRP recovery
TWRP Home > Advanced > ADB Sideload > adb sideload /Users/chandrasekar/Downloads/e-0.9-p-2020051454091-dev-fajita.zip
Reboot System
------
This won't reatin TWRP flash. If you want TWRP to be retained, follow below step before clicking Reboot System 
TWRP Home > Install > twrp-3.3.1-31-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip -- Swipe to Install >> TWRP Home
TWRP Home > Reboot System
------

This guide helped me get pie running on my 6T, as well as helping me understand the A/B system and many of the commands.

One thing that tripped me up was that I would often need to run fastboot boot twrp-Q.img a couple times in a row to get it to work. Switching between versions of twrp also seemed to get it to work for some reason (I used 3.4.0-2 and 3.3.1-1 which is what I had lying around.) It should open TWRP in about 10 seconds. If you’ve been waiting for a minute, it’s not going to load.

Since this guide was written ‘q’ has been released, and it might be better to just install the latest e-0.11 build. Just a thought if you’re encountering this guide for the first time and haven’t started the process yet.

1 Like

This worked on my T-mobile version with a couple of changes.

You have to apply for an unlock token first, which takes about a week.

I used the MSM Tool recommended by @donut3 instead of flashing the e-os-9.zip.

twrp-Q did not work. I also tried 3.4.0-2, which didn’t work, and 3.3.1-31, which did work.

Other than issues with the PIN screen, works great after logging in.

Thanks!

Thank you for this How-to, it allowed me to get my phone back.
However I did not succeed with the latest version of /e/ OS under q: e-0.12-q-2020103081675-dev-fajita.zip
Is there anything special to be done in this case?
Thank you for your help.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve tried maybe 15 attempts to flash eOS on my oneplus6T following the official doc, this A/B partitioned device tutorial written by @Fluf (thanks to you) and I could not manage to make it work. This was driving me crazy.

In case this tutorial is not working for you, you might be interested by this one : OnePlus 6T – No OS Installed, says TWRP

It is straightforward and it worked at the first attempt. You don’t have to botter with the A or B slots. You simply flash the stock oxygenOS android 9.zip with adb sideload. Your reboot and you do another adb sideload with eOS android 9. The full process is described in post.

Hope it will helps those who are stuck.

1 Like

Hello,
i although tried the official tutorial and it did not work. but after trying several things that feel to me as they are equivalent to the tutorial Pokzah linked to and it worked. only after encountering issues with relocking the phone i took a look into here and at the other Tutorial because it was hidden at the bottom of the page :confused:
think it should be stated somewhere at the beginning and not in the end that the official tutorial might not work and these two should be followed instead.

so about the locking problem i encountered. i tried “fastboot oem lock” or the new version of the command “fastboot flashing lock” because i read somewhere that it would be bad to not re lock because then people could flash malicious code without me noticing.
but it causes the phone to only boot into a screen saying
“Your device is corrupt. It can’t be trusted and will not boot.”
(right now my phone is flashed with the stock OP6T build from the OnePlus website. so basically a complete factory reset. but the bootloop and softbrick was scary at first)
i think this is because there is no certificate included in the build?

my question is is it really true that it is a security flaw not to lock, or is it save to use as an every day phone?
and if it is a security flaw are there other options than building /e/os on my own with self generated certificates?