[HOWTO] Use the Calendar App

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!

Icon Calendar Main Screen
calendar_icon calendar_mainscreen

Features

• Calendar forked from Etar is an open source material designed calendar made for everyone!
  • Easily setup appointments
  • Has a simple, material designed and state of the art open source calendar that anyone can make better.
  • The application is an enhanced version of AOSP Calendar. Without the help of Free Software for Android team, this app would be just a dream. So thanks to them!
  • Month view.
  • Week, day & agenda view.
  • Uses Android calendar sync. Works with Google Calendar, Exchange, etc.
  • Material designed.

How to use the Calendar app

• Hamburger or Three line menu options

calendar_screen_top

• On the top left of the calendar screen you would find three lines or what is also known as the hamburger menu
  • Tap on the Hamburger menu to open the below Screen

calendar_menu_options

• Day
    • Opens up a Day - wise calendar view
  • Week
    • Opens up a week - wise calendar view
  • Month
    • Opens up a Month - wise calendar view
  • Agenda
    • Shows the Agenda view or task’s planned prominently
  • Calendar to display
    • If multiple accounts are added to the phone for example /e/ ID, Gmail ID and other accounts those calendars will show up in this view
  • Settings
    • Tapping on this option will show a sub Menu. Options in the sub menu are

General Settings

• The settings here provide options to change
    • Theme
    • Primary Colour as Screen Background
    • Default view
    • View details to set level of detail required in Tasks
    • Hide /Show declined events
    • Display week days … in case you work 5 days a Week
    • Set a default duration for an event …default is 1 hour
    • Set home time zone
    • Clear Search history
    • Show / Hide pop-up Notifications - check box default is unchecked
    • Set up Snooze delay
    • Set default reminder
    • Set up quick responses…where an automated text goes out
    • Your /e/ account ID
    • Allows you to sync setting for your like Contact Birthdays, any added accounts like Gmail, Tasks in Personal calendar
  • About Etar

Store your calendar on the phone only:

• Use offline calendar to create a local calendar on your phone.

Sync your calendar to a server

• A cloud-synched calendar could be a google calendar, but you can also use
    any other public Caldav-server or even host your own (which would be the
    only way to keep full control over your data and still have ONE calendar
    usable from different devices.) To sync such a calendar to some server you
    need yet another app, e. g. DAVx5. That’s necessary because a Caldav client
    isn’t included in Etar.

The following link provides a tutorial how to use Nextcloud + DAVx5 + Etar.

About the Project

Project Source Code

Readme Location

Build Information

tools/bin/sdkmanager platform-tools
export ANDROID_HOME=/path/to/android-sdk/
git submodule update --init
gradle build

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

No import and export of settings and event file ??!!

New user here, /e/ on FP3. It says I have to link an account before I can use the calendar. I try to “Add account” but login fails.
It’s the same credentials I use to log in to my /e/ account (ecloud) and here!
What’s wrong?

PS: I just discovered “Add offline calendar” and I think that’s all I need. Still, it would be nice to have the choice!

Hello there @Manoj could you please elaborate on how to sync a Google calendar to Etar? When adding calendar there only is an option for CalDAV and EteSync synchronisation.

(Also it seems that using Davx5 as you suggest requires 2 USD per month at least to sync? Am I looking at the right thing here?)

Thanks

There are some HOWTOs on migration available here

1 Like

Greatings,
Is there an Option of a calendar widget?

Kind regards

I would like to be able to copy or duplicate events, is it possible?

Do you mean, as in “REPETITION”?

@Manoj

Is it possible to synchronize with MS Office / Outlook accounts? I have my own nextcloudrunnig und want to see my office calendars and nc calendasr in one view.

… btw is there no calendar widget? I can not find it in my widget-list. Or do I have to activate it (somehow)?

Some time back, we had put out a message that syncing with MS servers was not possible or too much of an effort. That issue is still not addressed.

Thank you. I understand. Is there a Calendar Widget? I can not see one in my widget list. (FP3+ with /e/OS 0.21-20220122158537) Would make it easyer for me to keep track of outlook and CalDAV-appointments.

Not in the default /e/OS Calendar app.

If you install an different app (e.g. Etar or Simple Calendar Pro from F-Droid) you will have access to widgets. Etar offers one, Simple Calendar offers a couple.

None of them are particularly effective or useful in Bliss

In a more traditional Android home app / launcher (e.g. Lawnchair, also available from F-droid) they work better: they display more information, and can be resized to fit available space

Etar widget

Simple Calendar Pro widget

Thank you. As I am happy with bliss, it is ok with me. Bu would be nice to have a built in widget for the default calendar.

I just tied to invite a contact email to an appointment on my e.email account, it’s working like a charm it’s really a killer feature !!! Byebye google shared agenda blablabla !

You can use others calendars using the app Davx5. It’s easier with the Murena calendar, because Davx5 isn’t necessary.
The calendar from Framagenda is also a fork of Etar, but need Davx5 with /e/OS.

Problem with exported google calendar in Etar change mode in The Netherlands (in calengoo app this is not a problem):

When on an imported appointment you see the right time, but in change mode
Coordinated Time is GMT 00
There is an option to give in your country, but it cannot find any. It would be conveniant to alter this for all imported calendars.
You can see the CMT at the bottom of the page.

For new made appointments this does not occur.

Maybe it could be altered in settings on pc/windows, but I cannot find something.

Thanks for suggestions, Jan Busser

Hi,
It seems the /e/tasks with date and time does not display in /e/calendar on /e/OS 1.13. Did I miss some configuration to make it work ?

It is buggy.
On my FP3 this calendar app lags in displaying events in day view. Some times no one or only some. I have constantly to trigger “actualize”/sync" in the app to display them. This even if I go back to the day which just was displayed fine just before. Very insecure to use.
Before that I had installed Star which worked well. Since the last e is update I cannot reinstall it.

AND NOT POSSINLE TO INSTALL ETAR VERSION because the provider name e.foundation already uses the package name

Hi @Manoj
Is there a file stored somewhere with calendar data before doing updates?
After 1 year of none such problems, I did an update on my FP3+ today (Version 1.15 now) and lost all the calendar data and couldn’t figure out a way to find it.
It’s not rooted and am more of a casual user, so no idea about most things here…