[HOWTO] Use the Maps app

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!

Icon Maps App Main Screen
maps_icon magic_earth_mainscreen

About the Maps app
Actual app: Magic Earth (privacy report by Exodus). Read more about the Maps app.

How to use the Maps app

• Permissions required by the Maps app
  • You can access Permissions under
Settings >> App & notifications >> See all apps >> Maps >>App Permissions
  • Camera

• Contacts

• Microphone

• Storage

• Caution: Always use your discretion while allowing any app permission to use any of your Smartphone resources
Maps Settings Left menu Maps Settings Right menu
magic_earth_settings_left magic_earth_settings_right

Settings in the Maps App

• Options on the Main Screen ( lower panel)

• You can see 4 icons on the main screen . They are

• Layers
      • Decide how you want to have your Maps displayed - Layers and Styles are defined here
  • Download

• Download offline maps here
  • Recording

• Want to record the route you take while traveling? You can record it here.
    • Note this section will ask you for additional permissions
  • Settings

• This icon will open the screen as shows above and captioned ‘Maps Settings Right menu’

• Options available in this screen are:

• Mobile data

• Enable / Disable if the Maps Apps should use mobile data.
    • General

• Settings for Sound, Battery mode, Distance , Night Colors and Map labels are available here
    • Warnings

• Want Speed limit related warnings? This is where you can set them up
    • Al Dashcam

• Recording and Driver Assistance Detailed view is available here
    • Navigation

• Common and Specific Settings such as 2D / 3D maps, Full screen display options can be set here
    • Advanced Settings

• Configure Map Data Cache size here
    • Support

• Shows links to various Magic Earth support sites and online FAQ’s

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

There is a lot of useful user documentation in the the Support section of the Magic Earth web site. This information is also available from the Settings menu in the application (Settings | Support | Tips and tricks)

We could mention both of those in this [HOWTO]. We could duplicate that information here, or just link to it.

It may be useful to ask people what questions they have about the app, e.g ‘How do I do x?’. If a question is answered on the ME web site, then we can just link to the answer. If it isn’t then we can document the answer here.
I would be happy to investigate any questions people might post, and document the answer (if I can find it out :slight_smile: )

Hi @petefoth the HOWTO above is editable by all. You can add any additional tips you have to the HOWTO itself.

1 Like

Just a note. I just started using a pre-installed Samsung S7. MagicEarth says
“This app version is not compatible with the new maps available. Install the latest app version to use the new online and offline maps.”
The app’s version is 7.1.20.24, map version 7.271.
I tried installing a newer version from the App store, but that says it is the latest.
Then tried installing from Aurora store: that indeed gave me a newer version, and it works.

1 Like

Hello,

thank you for your purchase!

The solution was to update /e/OS:
Settings > About phone > System updates > the curved arrow in the top right.

Don’t know if Maps will be updated with system updates now that you updated it with Aurora Store.

1 Like

Hi, I’m using an unofficial build for Samsung S5 mini (G800F). The solution with Aurora worked for me, as well. Thanks for posting this!

Hi, Mobile Data and WiFi are both on, but app cannot connect via one of them to the Magic Shop, hence no card data. How to solve?

@Manoj
Hello,

This is a really good tutorial. Could I translate it into German?

Feel free to translate it into other languages.

1 Like

I have some concerns about this app, because it is not openly developed by community of enthusiasts, and it does not clearly show its business model. Usually this is a red flag.

In my point of view, the /e/ Team needs to fix these two things in the Maps app: Maps app: speed cameras are displayed even when unchecked in settings (#5743) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab and this Maps app: annoying pop up asking to download maps too often (#5826) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab