[HOWTO] Use the Message App

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!

Icon Message App Main Screen
message_icon message_mainscreen

Features

• Message is forked from QKSMS which is an open source replacement to the stock messaging app on Android

How to use the Message app

Message Menu Message Settings
message_menu message_settings_a

Message Menu options

• inbox

• Displays all the text messages received . You can select / delete messages from this screen
  • Archived

• Your archived text message ( if any) will show up here
  • Backup and Restore

• You can backup and restore SMS messages at present MMS is not developed as yet
  • Scheduled

• You can schedule sending text messages for details on how to do it check below
  • Blocking

• Block sms sender / contacts from this screen
  • Settings

• Check section on Settings below
  • Help & feedback

• Send a mail seeking support to the QKSMS developer from here.
      • Please note this mail does not go to the /e/ Support team. To contact them send support@e.email
  • Invite friends

• Send a download link to QKSMS app to your friends and contacts through this link

Attaching, Scheduling through the App

contact_mainscreen

• As visible in the screenshot above , the Contact app has a ‘+’ sign in red in the lower right hand corner
  • Tap the ‘+’ this will open a screen as shown below captioned ‘New Contact’
New Contact Contact Save To Location
contacts_newcontact contacts_saveto
  • The user gets the option to choose where to save the newly created contact. The options to save as shown in the screenshot above Features

• Your /e/ address book
    • Your device
  • Saving to the /e/ address book will save the newly created contact to your /e/ cloud . It will be retrieved automatically when you setup you phone with your /e/ credentials

• Saving to phone means the contact will be saved to your phone SIM card.

• Tip: Choose as per your requirement as both options have their advantages and disadvantages.For e.g. saving on the /e/ cloud can prevent you loosing your contact list, you can also access the contact list from the ecloud.global web site . In case you save on SIM sync is faster but if you loose your phone or the SIM is damaged - without a backup you could be loosing all your information.

About the Project

Project Source Code

Readme Location

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Hello, I’m new on /e/ and Android 8.1 (came from 4.0 or so) and I must ask where can I find emoticons in the Message app? I see nothing like that :frowning:
Also I look for the stopping of the annoying spell checking funktion. How can I do it? In the system settings I have it disabled but in the Message app it is always on…

Thank you for replies and thanks to the developers and maintainers for the nice and functional OS!

1 Like

You need to press the “enter” key 2 sec to see the emoticons menu appear.

3 Likes

Thanks, I figured it out in the meantime.

The qksms application has not been maintained for two years now…
It would be nice if the /e/ team took over the development of this application or changed to use instead the message application that LineageOS uses for example.

1 Like

Good news ! the application has just had an update, the developer has resumed work :slight_smile:

When someone texts me a picture, i dont see it, only the text. Is there a way to make the puctures visible?

It seems that the MMS service can be problematic with some carriers. Adjustment / correction of Access Point Names apn should hopefully rectify this.

Simplest, you might ask your carrier and if they expect MMS to work correctly; if yes ask them to send the APN to your device. Sometimes carriers call this APN reset.

Or you could check other apn threads for details of how to check and adjust manually with your carrier’s published information.

Speculation, maybe carriers can make an adjustment to APN (to meet changing standards) assuming they will transfer to the device with Google’s help.