[HOWTO] Use the Weather Widget

Note: Documentation in this section is Work in progress. Help us update it. Help us make /e/ better !!
weather_widget

Features

• Open source weather app for Android.
  • Different languages: Basque, Belarusian, Czech, English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Polish, Russian
  • Current weather
  • 7 day forecast
  • Notifications
  • Support different measuring units
  • Ad-free
  • The weather widget shows up on swiping the Bliss Launcher from left to right
  • Widget appears below the App Suggestions widget
  • Unlike other widgets the Weather widget cannot be removed at present from the Bliss Launcher screen

How to use the Weather app

• Permission required by the Weather widget
    • Please note: To function correctly the weather widget requires location access

• Warning: Before giving permissions to any app Please ensure you are aware why the permissions is required. It is for you the user to decide if permission should be granted or not.
    • Permission can be granted from

Settings >> Apps & notifications >> See all apps >>  Weather >> Permission

Alternately location permission to the weather app can also be granted from the below screen accessible by tapping the Setting icon ( gear) to the right of the widget screen which will open the Weather Panel.

weather_panel

• Weather Panel
    • The Weather Panel as shown above allows you to
    • Set a Weather Source
    • Set Update Interval
    • Use Custom Location for Weather app
    • Displays Location
    • Lets you set which weather icons to show
    • Choose Centigrade or Fahrenheit scale for the weather

About the Project
Project Source Code
Readme Location](https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/Weather/blob/master/README.md)

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Thanks, can you also show how to remove the weather widget? I don’t want/need it.

1 Like

many users already asked for removing this annoying spy-widget – me too! – and every now and then this was even promised by the /e/ maintainers as an already planned future improvement, but in fact it never happend… :frowning:

2 Likes

Before when I tapped on the widget it opened for more details. Sometimes it wasn’t up to date but when you opened it there was a refresh button (and the time it was last updated).
However, now when I tap on it, nothing happens. There is no way to see more details which makes it next to useless.
I agree with others that you should be able to remove it as well since many privacy minded people are worried about weather apps spying on them. Keep in mind that /e/'s target audience is the privacy minded.

There also is a bug #3210 with the timed refreshing

Good morning, the problem with the weather app also exists in the version /e/OS 018-202xxxx.
No weather data is updated via the widget in the BlisLauncher.
It is also not clear how to do the manual initialization. I am from Austria and also the GPS query is extremely limited and works very rarely.
Best regards

Problem still also in e_ginkgo-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20211215.183821

I think that possibility to turn on / off the weather is a good idea.

For me option ‘Use custom location’ does not work on my Moto (ocean). The app got lighter print and let do nothing.

Request: I would like the Weather Panel to show the time stamp for its last update. Without that, it’s impossible to tell whether the information is stale.

1 Like

My Murena Terracube with /e/OS came with the Weather Widget configured to use OpenWeather. Much later, I made an account at OpenWeather, and they asked me to use a particular “API Key.” I entered this through the Widget, but I have no idea what the point was, and I don’t know whether I made my service better or worse by this change. Documentation regarding the value of API Keys and suggestions how to deal with them will be helpful.

1 Like