[HOWTO] Using WhatsApp under shelter

OK, in device settings / apps you will find the shelter contacts app. (than one with the blue suite case). Wipe storage from this app. And try once more.

Not it did not work.
What I did is exporting all contact from the eos as a vcf and import it into shelter contact and it worked. So I will check my WhatsApp vcf which I made in appeal contact. I assume there is an error there even if I see the names of the contacts while importing them.

You have created a group for WA contacts ? Could be that that’s the problem. Tr first adding manually a contact in shelter and add him to the WA group. This group handling in standard / shelter contacts is a pain.

EDIT: Have just seen, the default contact app doesn’t have groups :frowning:

Hello.

And you need to unfreeze the sheltered Contacts app and unfreeze’n’launch WA, the first time and when you want to edit/create a contact…

Hope this will help.

You can also check in contacts / settings / contacts to display

I created a vcf card with two contacts an it worekd fine. I could import it into shelter contacts without problems.
So I tried to export my Group WA as vcf and import it into shelter contacts. But no luck it doesn’t appear.

Somting musst go wrong with the display of this group. In the process of importing I can see the names of my contacts that shelter contact is importing. So it hast to work anyhow…

Do these two working contacts have had a group?

Not really. In apple contact I created a new group and put about 33 contacts in it. On my regular contact app on eOS I saw this group as a tag. So I have now a WhatsApp tag on the contact app of eOS.
Importing this contact did not really work. So I splited the export in 3 vcf. And I could import some of the contacts. But approximately have now arout 20 contacts in shelter contact.

I don’t understand why it did not import all of them.

Did you enable file shuttle in shelter settings ?

Yes otherwise I couldn’t import my vcf contacts.

I did not know that. Good info.
Thanks

I tried to do this on a recent unofficial Nougat build, running on Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (suzuran), and using OpenLauncher instead of Bliss. I found that shortcuts to the Shelter apps (including the installed WhatsApp) are not shown in the App drawer (so there are no duplicates for Aurora Store and Contacts) and are not added to the home screen.

I thought this might be connected to the bug where the Browser app creates shortcuts in Bliss even when it is not the Home app. So I ran Bliss, and sure enough there are the shortcuts for the Shelter apps. From OpenLauncher, the only way to run them is to launch them from within the Shelter app itself.

It may be worth noting in the first post that this is an issue, at least with this combination of Nougat build and OpenLauncher.

This is not a big problem for me because I’m only running the Z5 Compact for a few days while my Z3 Compact (running a Pie build where this method works as described :slight_smile: ) is in for repair, and I don’t use WhatsApp much anyway. But it may be useful if anyone does try with a Nougat build.

My TotalLauncher is showing the icons

That’s similar to what I see in OpenLancher on the device running a Pie build. Is your Pie or Nougat?

it’s pie. Seems to be an issue for nougat

You can manually create shortcuts : in Shelter, click on the app you want and click on something to create a shortcut.

Yes, there is a menu selection: unfreeze and create shortcut’
But I don’t know why I have to unfreeze and what does this ‘unfreeze’ is meaning

That doesn’t work on my Nougat build. Or rather the shortcut is created, but on the Bliss Home screen instead of the OpenLauncher screen.

I remember that when I first started using /e/ (also a Nougat build), there was an issue where the Browser and Contacts ‘Add to Home screen’ functions added the shortcut to the Bliss, rather than to OpenLauncher. This looks to be the same problem. I’ve tried find a related issue but there isn’t one, so I’ll raise it

Edit: This is now raised as issue #1529

I have a small question:
Will I see notifications when I get a message on whatsapp if I install it only in shelter? Or will it “not get through” because it is only in shelter?

I’m getting WA push notifications. But some users have to install WA in main. (Only install, no setup! !! ) to get notifictions

1 Like