At first I have to say, using WhatsApp is no good idea WhatsApp copies your entire address book on FB servers, with ALL fields. That means, if you have added some notes like contacts account number or bra size of your girl friend Fb has now these information available
But sometimes there are some reasons to have WhatsApp available. To get a little ‘privacy’ while using WhatsApp you should use shelter. Shelter is a ‘Container/Sandbox’ which creates a work profile on your device. All apps in this work profile does only have access to the data inside the work profile.
If you want using shelter you have to install another launcher because at moment BlissLauncher can’t work with work profiles. But this will be solved after next source refresh on august, 5th. So if you are reading this after 18.05. forget point 1 and 2
For using WhatsApp with shelter you should go this way
- Install another launcher like librechair https://gitlab.com/oldosfan/librechair
- install shelter from Apps
- start shelter and go thru the complete setup
– now you will have some icons double in your drawer or you will have a section ‘Work’ in your drawer. Contacts for example, one is with an lock and one without. The app with the lock is located in your new work profile. if you will open this contact app no contacts are show.n That’s why shelter doesn’t have access to your private profile with all your contacts
- add your really needed WhatsApp contacts in the shelter address book.
– I have over 900 contacts in my address book. I have created a WhatsApp group and have assigned the WhatsApp user to this group. Than I have exported the WhatsApp group contacts in a vcf file. This vcf file I have transferred to shelter via file manger in shelter. There for you have to activate 'File Shuttle in the shelter settings. Now I was able to import these vcf file into my shelter address book. In shelter address book I have delete all contact information except name and phone number. And the real name I have changed to nicḱ name. So FB will get only small information from my address book
- Clone Aurora store to your shelter work profile
- start shelter and open aurora
- install WhatsApp from ‘shelter aurora’
- Setup WhatsApp.
– Now WhatsApp should should show only your contacts from shelter work profile
– if you have had WahatsApp used before, than you should push your WhatsApp backup via file manager to your shelter work profile BEFORE you start WhatsApp. So WhatsApp will find it and restore it.
As far as I know, the backup/restore via gdrive isn’t working. But I don’t know for sure, because I don’t have an google account.
Some posts behind is a very good solution for using whatsapp without access to adress book. I have tried it under shelter with an empty adress book and it works very good.