[HOWTO] Using WhatsApp under shelter

Hello,
I use shelter for whatsapp, messenger. But I have a little problem with notifications that doesn’t display (I didn’t check the auto freeze mode)
I have to enter the application for them to appear.
would you have a solution?

whats about background activities for shelter and Whatsapp ? allowed ?
And Batterie optimization ? Not allowed ??

And Notifications allowed ??

Hello.
I use all apps with background datas OFF and as much permissions as possible in disabled mode.
But I’m paranoid :wink:

Than you will get no push.notifications

Yes, no ‘push’ for me. I see new messages when I want… And I use first phone calling, SMS and webmail :wink:

Private media vs social (?) media, that’s a personal choice.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this Howto.
Now I have whatsapp, signal, ns (dutch traintable) working under shelter.

3 Likes

perfect :+1: :+1: :+1:

Something I just wanted to clarify.

I am ready to bring my Whatsapp .vcf contacts into Shelter.
I have enabled File Shuttle.
The vcf is in my Downloads folder on the main profile.
I am supposed to open the Files in Shelter, and then click on the ‘Main’ button to allow access to my main profile to access the vcf file?

It’s okay to do?

Yes, but i would copy it to shelter profil and import it from there

But that’s what I am asking; is it okay to give the Files app in Shelter access to the ‘Main’ profile to copy the vcf?

Sorry, seems i have misunderstood.

Yes, that’s ok, because the shelter file manager has only access to main profile as you use it.

1 Like

I want to use shelter for whatsapp but i dont know how to “restore” my chat and media when using it because usually i need to copy “key” to data/data/com.whatsapp and “whatsapp” folder to sdcard/. When i using shelter i dont know where should i put the “key” file becausw when i only instal whatsapp in shelter i cant find “com.whatsapp” in data/data

Maybe someone have the solution for this can tell me

There is way. But I must search for it. I’ll come back to you

OK, here are the steps which have worked several times:

1. save you complete whatsapp folder (not only the backup) on pc or external SD or cloud
  2. Download/save the WA folder on your new phone in shelter
  3. Reinstalled Whatsapp under Shelter
    ---- and it found the backup and managed to restore it

That means, you have to uninstall your WA first from shelter before starting the above steps

1 Like

I already try that, but still cant restore all the media and chat history. Usually i always backup my whatsapp via copy all the data and key, because if only “whatsapp” folder without the key it cant detect my restore point.

Thanks for trying to help tho, maybe someone here have another solution for my problem

good luck. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hello.

You can try to uninstall WA, then download and install (from Apps, under Shelter too). It has worked, for me, the second time I’d tried…

So i need to login wa at main profile and uninstall it, and install again inside shelter ?

sure, that’S a must have, whatsapp in shelter

No, no, all under Shelter, without WA in main profile. But your backup must be in the workprofile’s “File” (unfreezed)…

PS : I don’t know why the backup didn’t work before the second un-re-install’…