I do not have the option for "unlock OEM" in developer options

I have a Samsung Galaxy SM-G950U1 and I have no option to toggle on and
off OEM unlocking in developer options. Its not even greyed out its just not
there and I have done everything Ive found on the net as far as solutions, changing
date, factory reset ad nauseum. At this point I have spent the entire day and have
not even been able to get past the 1st step. This is an international unlocked S8
but it is a US version…I have read that it is impossible to unlock the OEM toggle
feature.

Any one have any ideas?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Tell me if you make it work… Samsung sh*t is really a problem child

1 Like

Your telling me dude Ive spent many hours digging
for answers. I doubt there is one…Samsung is too
big now.

There is very, very much to read on the Internet - true and even more untrue. So the source of the news is crucial.

The American Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1 is definitely suitable for unlocking the bootloader(!)

This is proven by the presence of official TWRP recovery versions like 3.4.0-0 and 3.3.1-0-dreamqlte. Among other things, this gives the possibility to rotate the SM-G950U1. Custom Roms for the dreamqlte* however are rare.

The american Galaxy models are known for being “protected” by the providers. First of all by Verizon. Of course this has to be checked in each individual case.

However, the American Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1, codename ‘dreamqlteue’ uses a Snapdragon 835, while the models for Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) are equipped with an Exynos 8895.

The current /e/ OS ROM e-0.10-p-20200806 is exclusively designed for the EMEA S8 models. Therefore, there is no possibility to use the S8 SM-G950U1 with eOS, because of the technically completely different requirements.

Yeah sorry about that… it sucks.
You could quick sell it on swappa.com and get something like a 6T, there’s a lot of material in the community about /e/ on 6T…

It’s my daily driver, it’s what i would recommend~
Best of luck

Is there the same amount of support for the Oneplus 7 Pro? That looks like a great phone
and it looks like it would be easier to unlock and root. Do you like your 6T? I try and future
proof myself as much as I can because I keep my phones and laptops for years.

Are you saying that my United States version of the S8 is unlockable but that it just is
not compatible with /e/os ?
If it is actually unlockable could you point me in the direction of a possible solution?
I would really appreciate any help.

If /e/ is for Exynos CPUs (very likely as many ROMs have better development for these) and you have a Snapdragon (you can check this without root or anything) it wouldn’t work anyway.

As to how to root/bootloader unlock it - I think the U from the name means that it’s from a vendor in the US (I think U1=T-Mobile but don’t quote me on that). While it might be network/sim-unlocked and you could use it with any SIM it means it has a custom/provider ROM that is somehow different and might not have the “normal” options you’ll get from a “generic” ROM.

That’s exactly what I was saying!

However, an OEM Unlock is essential for unlocking.

Well, we are here in the /e/ forum and blushing questions about /e/ OS. Your Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1 is not compatible with eOS for the technical reasons mentioned above. Therefore I will not go into detail about how to unlock and root an SM-G950U1.

But to get one step further, I recommend you to identify your S8 model first. This is very easy to do with an ADB command:

adb devices -l
The message is (here using the example of an (EMEA) S8 SM-950F)
device product:dreamltexx model:SM_G950F device:dreamlte transport_id:1

This is equivalent to:

product.device: dreamltexx 
product.model: SM_G950F 
product.name: dreamlte

With these facts, that means with your data, you can continue your research. For example, you can search the Internet for

How to Root American Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1
… or …
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1
… or …
How-to flash TWRP for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon)

It is a pity that you cannot use eOS 9-pie with this great Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1 with Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC, but the North American market has its own laws.

Qualcomm is an American public multinational corporation headquartered in San Diego, California, and incorporated in the US tax haven of Delaware. Samsung has to dance according to the US trade policy “America first” and the arrows of Google Android. Therefore there are different versions of the model S8 SM-G950* available.

Hey @dao, yes I do like my 6t. I totally understand about future proofing your devices, it’s the best thing to do.
So i noticed the specs on gsmarena of the op7 pro, it’s only a little better than the 6t. Really the 6t is an amazing phone, the specs for the money are mindblowing. Also, ( check on swappa) you can get a 6t for a lot less than a 7pro…
look on the forum here for how i converted my tmobile 6t into an international version. … now on att towers. Im delighted with the while experience.