Ics files not importing in calendar

Hi, before I had /e/ (Fairphone 3), I used to use a lot the .ics file import in calendar whenever I got a medical appointment or some other event (you downloaded the .ics file and calendar automatically imported it). Bofore /e/, I also used Etar as calendar application, and never had an issue, but since I use /e/ this feature seem not to work: if i download and try to open the .ics file, either Etar opens but nothing happens, or a message shows saying “Etar still doesn’t work” (rought translation), and then closes all by itself.

Anyone has any idea how to solve this? Thank you in advance.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

But manual import works, right ??

Have you tried this app?
Calendar Import-Export

nope, same problem. I download .ics file, and from within Etar, choose ‘Import’ and same behaviour.

Hi @LEPT I tried the app, but didn’t success to import .ics file into ECalendar.

I tried creating an .ics file myself and opening it with Etar, and it works fine. So maybe it was some kind of problem with the .ics file that was sent to me with my latest doctors appointment. Anyway, thanks for the help

I’m having the same or similar issue. I wanted to import my calendar and contacts into ECloud from Google. Export from Google seems to have worked fine and my contacts were imported into ECloud successfully. However, I don’t seem to be able to import the calendar ics file. The interface finds the file and everything appears to work but nothing happens. I’ve tried importing into an existing calendar as well as making a new calendar for the data and I’ve tried using different browsers but nothing works. :frowning_face:

OK, it appears that it ONLY works if you use Chrome :face_vomiting:

Hey! /e/ folks! How about making sure it works in browsers that don’t report your browsing history back to Google, like Pale Moon or Brave? Geez!

1 Like

I’m using Chromium and have no issues importing ics files.
And why don’t use the calendar app on your device for importing ics files?

@harvey186 I looked at the app and didn’t see any way to do it.

Also, I’m very disappointed this morning. After I had /e/ all set up on my phone and everything working, it kept crashing over and over. I finally had to go back to my old TWRP nandroid backup at about midnight last night. Not sure what to do at this point, except I think I’ll give it a rest for now. Maybe I’ll try again another time.

oh bad. Seems you have a ‘bad’ app installed

It kept bugging me all night. I figured that the issue may have been because I installed a bunch of apps directly from titanium backup. So, starting at 7 this morning, I reflashed /e/ and started installing apps one at a time from the app store and the Aurora store when it was unavailable in the app store. Everything is running much better now. I did run across one app that was bad so I got rid of it.

Thanks for all your help.

Like you I was not able to import my calendar (.ics file), into my /e/ calendar.

I don’t know if by luck, or magic, but the following worked :slight_smile:

1. On the phone, Settings> Accounts > /e/ > your account >uncheck ALL boxes, disabling all sync.
  2. In Firefox, open my e.email account and in Calendar > settings and import > Import Calendar > select my .ics file
  3. A progress bar appears, and after around 1 minute the calendar is imported in the /e/ calendar, all calendar entries now appear in the calendar page
  4. On the phone, turn Calendar Sync back on -> Calendar is now synced on the phone.

Hope this might help other users having a similar issue.

Same situation with me.
What I noticed:

Google and ecloud use different formats.
Google uses the VEVENT format, while ecloud seems to use the VCALENDAR format.
Does anibody know some tool or script to convert .ics files from VEVENT data format to VCALENDAR format?

I had the same issue. I found the root cause after comparing my big .ics file from Google with some .ics file created from some ecloud calendar event.

The issue is hwo google uses specified timezones.
For single events, which I had created myself, the DTSTART and DTEND properties used “ZULU” timestamp values withoud timezone specification.
(in cotrast to event series, where the timezone identifier was specified, referencing some timezone as specified in the header of the .ics file)

To fix my Google .ics file I used regular expressions to add the missing Etc/UTC timezone information on DTSTART and DTEND properties ending on “Z” (using Notepad++ text editor):

• Search for: (limiting to events of year 2021)
    ^(DTSTART|DTEND)(:2021[0-9]{4}T[0-9]{6}Z)$
  • replace with:
    \1;TZID=Etc/UTC\2

The Etc/UTC timezone is specified in the header of the .ics file.

1 Like

I exported my Google calendar to a .ics file (on my Google Pixel Slate Chromebook). It was like 1.4 mb. I then created a new calendar at my ecloud global website and tried importing the .ics file without success. I then tried the option importing to a “New Calendar”. At first it didn’t seem to work. But after some time (I was taking an 8 minute break) I went back, and it was successful.