Improving privacy on /e/OS

I consider it a necessity, or rather a future skill, for /e/OS to contemplate this discussion:

:heavy_check_mark: Limit access to certain system calls

As proposed by XPrivacyLua.
Being able to whiten hardware identifiers, or fake them. As well as limit access to network information, the clipboard, and so on.

:heavy_check_mark: Inspect and limit the network, but at the O.S.

Solutions involving a “VPN Loop” don’t seem to me to embrace this need at root (i.e. NetGuard, TrackerControl).
First of all because the VPN functionality has to be available for “real VPN” solutions.
Secondly, because it is cumbersome and overloads the interface with messages or icons announcing “network monitoring”.
This same point can lead to the incorporation of a more private and secure DNS, as proposed by DNSCrypt.

:heavy_check_mark: Isolate shared storage

This third point is perhaps more advanced to implement for a “common user”.
Taking Storage Isolation as an example, it may be too complex a configuration and it leads to anti-intuitive usability in the inter-sharing of files between different apps.

Conclution

The first 2 points are relatively simple to imagine when it comes to designing a comfortable user experience.

The third point, perhaps, is much more complex to manage smoothly by an end user. But not for that, I consider it inopportune to name since it is an interesting privacy configuration.

I limit myself to considering the option of rooting the phone on the side, for which perhaps I will open a separate thread in the Security category. We understand that many of these tools require a rooted system for research and development purposes; however it would not be a limitation if these needs are covered directly from the /e/ROM.

:recycle: My personal request to this community

Share your opinion. Is it worth focusing on these 3 concepts to improve privacy?

I would appreciate if you share any tool that presents an alternative to the ones already mentioned, regardless of its level of complexity.

No, in my opinion. For me, the privacy in /e/OS versions prior to 1.0 was “good enough” - a sensible balance between better privacy and good useablity and user experience, especially for ‘novice’ users.

The additional ‘Advanced Privacy’ functionality, introduced in /e/OS version 1.0 (with no beta testing in the /e/OS community beyond /e/ developers) was (in my opinion) a step too far, especially as it seemed to ‘break’ a lot of stuff that had worked fine in 0.nn versions (location, DNS services, internet access).

Sometimes developers (and their managers) don’t know when to stop :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.