Install /e/ on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active - “klteactivexx” (beta)

What is your country ?

Does your device work under Samsung Stock Firmware ?

https://community.e.foundation/t/no-mobile-data-lte-tdscdma-cdma-evdo-gsm-wcdma-does-not-exist/33436/26

Country is Norway - Fjordkraft (Telenor)
Yes device (SM-G870F) works under Samsung Stock Firmware.

Could you try *#4636#* ?

That does not give me anything but a beep and it hangs up - Never the less I have some updates, I set preferred network type to LTE - now mobile data and sms works (happy) but calling feature still don’t work.

Sim status
Shows correct - network: (N Telenor)
Phone number on sim: Unknown
Mobile network state: Connected
Service status: In service
Signal strenght: -85dBm 56 asu
Mobile voice network type:LTE
Mobile data network type:LTE
Roaming:Not roaming
EID:Unknown

There is an app available in the F-Droid store and the /e/ Apps store called Network, which is a shortcut to the same info as that dial code. Just install that and then open it.

Thank you @Taurus - this gives lots of info, what are the next steps? :slightly_smiling_face:

Without revealing your IMEI, phone number, or IMSI:

Does the “Data Service” field read “Connected?”
What is the “Voice Network Type?”
What is selected in the “Set Preferred Network Type” field?
Is “Mobile Radio Power” enabled?
Is “Run Ping Test” successful?

And is your phone number indicated at the top?

Does the “Data Service” field read “Connected?” = true
What is the “Voice Network Type?” = LTE
What is selected in the “Set Preferred Network Type” field? LTE only
Is “Mobile Radio Power” enabled? = yes
Is “Run Ping Test” successful? Yes on all except IPv6

And is your phone number indicated at the top? = NO

Set to GSM/WCDMA/LTE (PRL).

@Taurus - It works! I am able to send and receive calls! <3

But the Network app still does not show Phone number

FYI in the “network” app this setting “GSM/WCDMA/LTE (PRL)” shows as LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)

Thank you so much @Taurus and @piero

2 Likes

Awesome, @Hibba! Glad it’s working for you now. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you’ve done a restart yet, but report back here if that reverts to the old problem. Also it might cause your phone number to appear in the app.

Hey @piero, I’ve noticed that dialing codes like that one, and *#*#SERVICE#*#* don’t work after I installed /e/ on my Xperia. Is that expected?

Edit: I see that *#*#4636#*#* (with the extra characters on each end), actually does work, @Hibba.)

@Taurus Unfortunately the joy was short lived, setting was not persistent it did not survive the reboot. Now it does give service with the same sequence as before the reboot.

Well, that’s a pain… I don’t know what could solve it, if you think the installation process and image files were correct. Maybe it will fix itself at the next version release.

If it’s any comfort, I, too, have to execute a workaround at every boot: I have to toggle from LTE to 3G, then back, to make the phone acquire LTE. :neutral_face:
I’m willing to live with that in order to have /e/ on my phone.

Indeed, I am trying the same configuration as before the reboot without any luck so far. Sure I would not be bothered at all to do a sequence after every boot to get it connected to the carrier - I am used to trouble shooting being a Linux apostle for two decades.

I’ll update on my findings, fingers crossed for fast resolve.

BTW when is the next update scheduled?

Last but not leased thank you so much for holding hands and being so supportive @taurus.

.Hibba.

1 Like

One thing I see is different looking at the Network app is the smsc value - suspecting that to be an possible blocker.

.Hibba.

Update: Not 100% sure how I managed to get it connected again (receive and make calls) (learning curve is high) but could be as trivial as me not saving after changing operator name under APN yesterday.

What is missing now is that I can’t send SMS only receive. This I am sure has to do with smsc value that is not the same for some reason. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the value when it worked. Maybe the operator has it…I’ll find it somehow.

The mobile number still does not show.

I can live with all this just to have /e/ running on my now refurbished device.

.Hibba.

As far I can remember, I used a while ago on a klteactivexx-device the latest TWRP version for klte. That should support also your klteactivexx. Maybe it’s worth trying.

1 Like

Mine was blank. I tapped Refresh and some carrier-generated numbers populated, but it didn’t have any negative effect on my connectivity.

I suspect soonish: Announcing the start of /e/ R beta testing

:+1:
Nothing but Linux in my house! (And /e/ and some somewhat de-trackerized other Androids)
:slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Sometimes, carriers have alternate APN settings that can be tried. You might talk to yours, if you haven’t already since the new issue came up.

@itsclarence thank you. Do you have the link for the latest TWRP version for klte? I thougth I had it but that gave me an error 7 as you see up in the history…