Install easy-installer on Fedora

Hi,
This question is probably dumb but I’m stuck. I’ve bought a S7 french edition in order to install /e/ but I’m using Fedora 33 and running “dnf install easy-installer” does not work. Could you please tell me how can I proceed in order to use installer with my Fedora distribution?
I’m a newbie in Linux. I’m from IT area but I left the dark side of the force (Microsoft) just a couple of weeks ago :slight_smile:
If someone could give me a little guidance I would really appreciate.
Have a nice day.
Cheers,
Luis

The installer is distributed via the snap package manager. This is a different package manager than the standard fedora one. Here https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-fedora are instructions how to install snap on fedora. Follow them. After that, sudo snap install easy-installer will install the easy-installer.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @ljahn :slight_smile:

For your information, for now the Easy Installer installs only stable branches, but there isn’t yet a stable branch on Oreo for the S7. So if you would like to be on Oreo instead of Nougat, you will have to install manually the dev branch thanks to those instructions or this HOWTO or this one.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’ll go with the stable Nougat for the moment then. To test the OS.
Regards,
Luis

Hi!
It’s me again! I’ve installed the snap package manager in Fedora 33 following your instructions @ljahn
I have encountered the following problem
luisarizaga@fedora-guitar ~]$ easy-installer
WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to open DISPLAY
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$6(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication(Unknown Source)
… 5 more

Do you have any idea of the source of the problem?
Regards,
Luis

I suppose it’s this (section could not open DISPLAY):

Summary: Installer does not work on wayland, use xorg session.
If this: loginctl show-session ID -p Type says Type=wayland, you know for sure.

I don’t have a fedora machine but I think you can choose xorg over wayland on your login screen (on ubuntu you click the ubuntu logo next to your name and select your session manager).

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes I’m using Wayland :slight_smile: I don’t know what that is I will learn some day haha :slight_smile: Will try to see how to switch to xorg and test. Thanks a lot!!
Cheers,
Luis

That was the problem the installer is working now :slight_smile: Thanks a lot
Cheers,
Luis

Well just to give you an update everything worked just fine :slight_smile: I’m using /e/ Nougat now and the cell phone works perfectly. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m very pleased to hear that. :smiley:. Hearing you are new to Linux, I especially liked your attitude of giving it a try. Post logs of the error, try the supposed solutions, don’t complain about how difficult things get if you have to take a look “under the hood” of your system. If you keep this up, Linux will probably become a great experience for you.

3 Likes