Install easy-installer on Fedora

Hi,
This question is probably dumb but I’m stuck. I’ve bought a S7 french edition in order to install /e/ but I’m using Fedora 33 and running “dnf install easy-installer” does not work. Could you please tell me how can I proceed in order to use installer with my Fedora distribution?
I’m a newbie in Linux. I’m from IT area but I left the dark side of the force (Microsoft) just a couple of weeks ago :slight_smile:
If someone could give me a little guidance I would really appreciate.
Have a nice day.
Cheers,
Luis

The installer is distributed via the snap package manager. This is a different package manager than the standard fedora one. Here https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-fedora are instructions how to install snap on fedora. Follow them. After that, sudo snap install easy-installer will install the easy-installer.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @ljahn :slight_smile:

For your information, for now the Easy Installer installs only stable branches, but there isn’t yet a stable branch on Oreo for the S7. So if you would like to be on Oreo instead of Nougat, you will have to install manually the dev branch thanks to those instructions or this HOWTO or this one.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’ll go with the stable Nougat for the moment then. To test the OS.
Regards,
Luis

Hi!
It’s me again! I’ve installed the snap package manager in Fedora 33 following your instructions @ljahn
I have encountered the following problem
luisarizaga@fedora-guitar ~]$ easy-installer
WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to open DISPLAY
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$6(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication(Unknown Source)
… 5 more

Do you have any idea of the source of the problem?
Regards,
Luis

I suppose it’s this (section could not open DISPLAY):

Summary: Installer does not work on wayland, use xorg session.
If this: loginctl show-session ID -p Type says Type=wayland, you know for sure.

I don’t have a fedora machine but I think you can choose xorg over wayland on your login screen (on ubuntu you click the ubuntu logo next to your name and select your session manager).

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes I’m using Wayland :slight_smile: I don’t know what that is I will learn some day haha :slight_smile: Will try to see how to switch to xorg and test. Thanks a lot!!
Cheers,
Luis

That was the problem the installer is working now :slight_smile: Thanks a lot
Cheers,
Luis

Well just to give you an update everything worked just fine :slight_smile: I’m using /e/ Nougat now and the cell phone works perfectly. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m very pleased to hear that. :smiley:. Hearing you are new to Linux, I especially liked your attitude of giving it a try. Post logs of the error, try the supposed solutions, don’t complain about how difficult things get if you have to take a look “under the hood” of your system. If you keep this up, Linux will probably become a great experience for you.

4 Likes

Excuse me for mix in with my own needs here in your thread. But I’m kind of lost and desperate want to start using my GS290 and using my Fedora 33 to accomplish the step by guide in our community I find it very hard to gain all that knowledge into one simple task. Even that I have installed the e-installer at my desktop. Do you know some very simple guide for Brand Noobians :grin:

Finding Getting Started pages on this combined eWiki and Forum can be a bit hard!
Check how this search works:
Search Easy Installer + GS290
:smile:

Hi @JBR sorry I don’t know any guide. I just go with the flow following several instructions, doing a mix of them and trying to solve the issues that arise… It never works straightforward anyways lol :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: sometimes you miss something or you do something that you did not have to do or you encounter a new situation… If you are up to give it a try and test go ahead. You can find installation notes in here: https://doc.e.foundation/easy-installer
Here are the notes to install from Linux: https://doc.e.foundation/easy-installer-linux you need snap package.
If you have any specific doubt I will be happy to give you some help if I can :slightly_smiling_face: Don’t hesitate to send me a message. Just be patient :slightly_smiling_face:
Cheers,
Luis

1 Like

Terminal commands for getting the Fedora 33 package installed

1 Like

Thank you Luis ( @luchoArg34 ). I allready have the Easy installer installed and tried the guide you linked me. The problem is that I can not get acces to the system shell ( or what the harddisk is called on a smartphone G290 ). I shure it can’t be that difficult. I mean :slightly_smiling_face:

How to get into developer mode where I can accept filetransfere by USB on the brand new G290 without accepting the Eula from the preinstalled corp.

How to create a back up from the ROM factory installed OS by the Terminal in Fedora linux by bash command or similar ?

I have an SDcard inserted with SDK and the /e/-nougat. Have to Root, flash and preinstall is the next step-

Mmmmmmmmmm I don’t know how to make a backup in command line. What I would do is installing TWRP, create a backup from that app and then download it to my computer. Dev mode for phones are easy to enable. Just google the procedure and you’ll find it.
Cheers,
Luis

1 Like