Installation Issues on OnePlus 5t

I finally got my OnePlus 5t in so I could try and install /e/ :grinning: but I am having some trouble :slightly_frowning_face:

I was following the instructions on the wiki and I would get to step 8, to side load the .zip package. after I selected “install from ADB” on the OP5t I used the command ‘adb sideload e-0.7-o-2019071817101-dev-dumpling.zip’; my Mac says it is serving the file and the phone shows updating. after only a few minutes my Mac says 'Total xfer: 1.00x ’ but my phone says Installation failed. I even tried to push the .zip file to the sd card of the OP5t and load it from there instead of USB but still no luck.

The ROM I downloaded was e-0.7-o-2019071817101-dev-dumpling.zip and the version of TWRP that got downloaded from the link in the wiki is twrp-3.3.1-0-dumpling.img. I then tried to use a prior ROM image e-0.7-o-2019071616856-dev-dumpling.zip to see if that made any difference, no dice, same messages on both devices. I left the ROM file zipped, is that possibly the culprit.

What might I be doing wrong? Appreciate any thoughts on what to do next.

That sounds similar to what i had, in my case I had not installed twrp properly … digging out the forum thread from back then … my resolution was the last post.
So yeah are you absolutely positiive twrp is on it? If its not in visible writing anywhere then thats the default onplus recovery system.

@Carlos how do I ensure TWRP is installed properly? I followed the instructions in the wiki and flashed TWRP as it stated. Supposing I did install TWRP correctly how do I boot into TWRP instead of the OnePlus recovery?

Does the recovery interface look like this? Then that means its not in twrp

the twrp menu should look somewhat like this
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2Fa4Y9WBpUCI0%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1

@Romey I succeeded in installing /e/ on a 5T just 3 days ago and it worked first time. Mine is the OnePlus A5010 and the only problem I had was not being able to do a backup of its original OxygenOS system, but I used a slightly more detailed set of instructions from the xda-developers site which involves using the advanced reboot feature of the 5T to get into fastboot mode and once the bootloader was unlocked I then followed the xda guy’s instruction to let it reboot again then repeated the USB-debugging procedure and enable the advanced reboot again before connecting the USB cable and flashing the exact same TWRP image file as you used.
On rebooting into recovery I had a functioning TWRP so was able to proceed with steps 4 to 8 of the wiki with no problem. The sideloading of the /e/ zip file - the same as you tried the second time - took a little while to complete but also finished with the ‘Total xfer: 1.00x’ message which I think is normal. On rebooting into the system it took a long time for /e/ to start, but this is also nomal. Since then, no problems and an automatic update was also completed successfully.
The only thing that appears a bit strange to me is that to be able to sideload with ADB you have to be in the TWRP recovery which you don’t mention. Perhaps @Carlos was right in suggesting you haven’t properly flashed it. Hope this helps.

@Carlos that is exactly what I am seeing. I will try the directions again, although I am pretty sure I flashed TWRP correctly. Will I have to do something special to reboot into TWRP or should TWRP automatically appear if it is installed correctly?

@Grendel I did turn on advanced reboot in the phone’s settings but didn’t seem to have the same experience as you.

I’ll update once I get another chance to try the installation.

To check if you’ve got TWRP as your recovery hold the volume-down and the power button down together and release when you get a screen asking for you to press the power button again to continue. After a slight delay you’ll see the typical TWRP screen that @Carlos showed a link to above. Without TWRP /e/ can’t be installed properly and its automatic OTA backups won’t work, so make sure that you flash it again if it doesn’t appear.

@Romey I did the “mistake” of rebooting my phone after flashing twrp. After executing the flash command I had to reboot the phone into the recovery mode directly from the fastboot menu (instead of restarting the phone phone and booting into recovery through adb). Thats what i think did the job for me.

If I remember correctly, I used the below video to fill in the blanks from the /e/ instructions. Just bear in mind that the only interesting bit is the section where he actually goes through the process of flashing twrp.

1 Like

Good news everyone! I was able to get the /e/ ROM installed. Thanks to @Carlos for helping me get over the hump. The original assumptions were correct, somehow I just wasn’t booting into TWRP :man_facepalming:

I started over from the beginning of the Installing a Custom Recovery steps in the wiki, I did adb reboot bootloader to get into fast boot and then flashed TWRP onto the device again. From fastboot I used the volume up key until the top line on the display said ‘Recovery Mode’ and when the phone rebooted TWRP came up. From there I was able to follow the remaining instruction and install the ROM successfully. Needless to say plenty of mistakes on my part, but I am learning some of this as I go so it could certainly have been worse.

Now the fun begins, I have not used Android as a daily driver for several years so I have plenty to play with and learn. Thanks everyone for the help.

2 Likes