Installation of paid apps & licence checking v1.21-t

The release notes for v1.21-t say ‘It is now possible to purchase an app after logging in using a personal Google account if the account is associated to an Android device’

A few questions:

1. What happens in a case such I have where I’m interested in installing a paid app, would need to set up a Google account to do this but have no access to an android device to associate it with? What options do I have to install a paid-for app?

2. Following on from this, is licence checking a one-off or is it checked every time an app is run? If the latter then would App Lounge need to remain permanently logged in to the Google account?

3. What would be the privacy implications for my phone of using a personal Google account (set up for just this one purpose) rather than the anonymous log-in in App Lounge? (Clearly making a payment has its own implications.)

I looked at trying to install this paid app (Collins Bird Guide) 3 years ago but it was not possible then and the developer confirmed that the Play Store was the only way to do so. I have checked through the forum before posting this but remain unclear.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like