Installing /e/ OS on Samsung S9+ - need step by step help

If I want to free myself from the clutches of data collectors, including Samsung and other manufacturers with preinstalled bloatware, then it is of secondary importance to me whether stockROM Android Knox works or not. It has no influence on custom ROMs.

Warranty claim also after rooting and flashing of devices

The EU regulation 1999/44/CE stipulates that the warranty remains valid even in case of root or flashing. Only if it can be proven that the defect was caused by rooting or flashing - which according to Carlo Piana and Matija Šuklje is only given in exceptional cases - the manufacturer can refuse the warranty.

EDIT / UPDATE

I haven’t heard anything about that.

Edit / Update

oem_unlocking

Let’s try unlock OEM bootloader later this Saturday.

Until then you could download this stockROM Android 10 as a precaution: G965FXXU8DTC5

The file is at least 4.5 GB in size.

If you aren’t a Premium Member of Sammobile, the download as a Non-Premium Member takes 18-24 hours at approx. 15 kB/sec.

In about six hours (slow speed) you can download it for free here.

1 Like

Seems I can finally answer :slight_smile:
So in the meantime I changed once again my mind… And I installed LineageOS 17.1.
Although I would have better installed /e/ OS, I am quite happy with LineageOS for now.
I guess I will use it until there is a /e/ OS build available for S9+ on Android 10.
Many thanks for your help!

Yes, LOS 17.1 (without GApps of course) is a compromise, but still better than stockROM Android.

How did you manage to activate the OEM Unlock Tell us a bit. After all, we spent some time yesterday with the fact that you are still using a Samsung device today ;o)))))

Yes, it’s quite good actually, and of course without GApps. Feels great. But I guess notifications will not always work due to the absence of MicroG which is implemented on /e/ OS (trying to understand the nuances, I am very new to all this)?

So to answer your question regarding the activation of OEM, your video link was the answer. I will put it here in writing as this can be of interest to other users (I could also describe how I installed LineageOS 17.1, but maybe that’s not the right place to do so).

How to unlock OEM bootloader on S9+ with Android 10 when it’s locked on “KG Prenoraml State” (it does not require a Google account, I did it on a stock Android without logging in)

• Activate developers options: About Device->Build number, tap the Build number section seven times
  • Disable Auto update system in Developer options
  • Turn off auto download over wi-fi (Settings -> Software update)
  • Turn off automatic date and time
  • Change date to a few weeks ago (more than seven days)
  • Go to Software update -> tap Download, let the system download the update
  • Do not install the update, ignore it
  • Now you should be enable to see “OEM unlocking” in the developer options (if not, reboot the device)

When I enabled OEM unlocking. the device was wiped out and reset to factory settings. On its next boot, OEM unlocking was enabled…
I am not sure whether the factory reset after enabling OEM unlocking is an expected behavior, but I wasn’t offered a choice. In any case I didn’t care at all since I had nothing to save on the device.

Once the OEM bootloader was unlocked, the rest of the procedure was very smooth, I just followed the official instructions from LineageOS and a few minutes later the device rebooted in a Google free OS.

Once thing though, the installation guide advised to update the device to the latest firmware version before flashing LOS, but I didn’t do it (there was indeed an update available) out of fear that it would again lock down some feature…

I am now the proud owner of a “tripped” warranty bit Samsung :slight_smile:

Good text, fun to read. Yes, the factory reset is inevitable. And if OEM Unlocking still does not show up, a short Wifi WWW login will help. At least it helped with a S9 - without plus.

I’ve started a kind of cry for help after 9-pie, maybe you would like to support this by showing your interest with at least 20 characters.

Great initiative, I’ve just replied to you there.

I read the thread with great interest. I am lucky to see that S9+ is again officially supported by LOS. In fact I am considering to move away from /e/.

I understand to do so means it is a one-way-ticket, because I have to update die Firmware to Android Q before installing LOS 17.1 .

Is my impression right, that MicroG is not yet supported in LOS 17.1?
Thanks,
LK

Where did you get this information?

I’ve installed LOS 17.1 builds on dozens of devices for testing. None of them ever had Android 1Q, but Android 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, and 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). LOS 17.1 runs for example on my Samsung Galaxy S4 “jfltexx” GT-I9505.

You probably know that “The LineageOS Project” does not want to have anything to do with “microG Project”.

Under certain circumstances a LOS image can be patched and microG can be made capable. But with LOS 17.1 this is currently not an easy task.

LineageOS-for-microG currently does not offer builds based on LOS 17.1

Where did you get this information?

The LOS Wiki said so. Good to know though, is not essentially required.

You probably know that “The LineageOS Project” does not want to have anything to do with “microG Project”.

Yapp.

LineageOS-for-microG currently does not offer builds based on LOS 17.1

I hope this will change at some point.

On this LineageOS Wiki I cannot find any reference to Android 1Q.

May I ask you to give me the link to the LOS Wiki so I can read the information about Android Q

There is not much to read:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/starlte/install

Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 10 firmware.

Okay, thank you. This warning only applies to the Samsung 9 “starlte” and 9+ “star2lte” not to other devices supported by LOS 17.1.

As I’m interested in this topic, I’ll do some research and try it out on my S9 SM-G960 DUOS if necessary

So you’ve a S9+ with stockROM Android 1Q build date March or April 2020, which can not be downgraded to stockROM Android 9 according to the will of Samsung?

So you’ve a S9+ with stockROM Android 1Q build date March or April 2020, which can not be
downgraded to stockROM Android 9 according to the will of Samsung?

No. I have a S9+ with preinstalled /e/ from the shop.

Ahn, that’s swell! Then it can be assumed that your S9+ isn’t equipped with the “evil” Samsung bootloader from Android 1Q.

So you’ve the possibility to install a stockROM Android 1Q, with which LOS 17.1 should work according to these instructions, but at the same time you have the option to downgrade back to stockROM Android 9. So you still have the choice between /e/ OS Oreo 8.1.0 and LOS 17.1.

/e/ OS Oreo 8.1.0 receives the monthly security lease provided by Android Security Updates - Samsung Mobile Security?

What benefits do you expect from LOS 17.1?

Sorry for late reply, the last weeks have been very eventful for me.

I just want to use an up-to-date Android and I doubt that /e/ will go in this direction in near future.
Can I ask you to help me to identify which CSC I have and which firmware I may download which would still allow a downgrade to oero?
My baseband is G965FXXU2CSC1. I did not find any information about that one.
Many thanks.

Hi @lebenskuenstler,

We now have an /e/pie test-build on this forum, have you tried it ?

The entire thread is an excellent read. Learnt a lot, from questions and answers. Just wanted to show my appreciation.