Installing /e/ OS on Samsung S9+ - need step by step help

Good text, fun to read. Yes, the factory reset is inevitable. And if OEM Unlocking still does not show up, a short Wifi WWW login will help. At least it helped with a S9 - without plus.

I’ve started a kind of cry for help after 9-pie, maybe you would like to support this by showing your interest with at least 20 characters.

Great initiative, I’ve just replied to you there.

I read the thread with great interest. I am lucky to see that S9+ is again officially supported by LOS. In fact I am considering to move away from /e/.

I understand to do so means it is a one-way-ticket, because I have to update die Firmware to Android Q before installing LOS 17.1 .

Is my impression right, that MicroG is not yet supported in LOS 17.1?
Thanks,
LK

Where did you get this information?

I’ve installed LOS 17.1 builds on dozens of devices for testing. None of them ever had Android 1Q, but Android 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, and 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). LOS 17.1 runs for example on my Samsung Galaxy S4 “jfltexx” GT-I9505.

You probably know that “The LineageOS Project” does not want to have anything to do with “microG Project”.

Under certain circumstances a LOS image can be patched and microG can be made capable. But with LOS 17.1 this is currently not an easy task.

LineageOS-for-microG currently does not offer builds based on LOS 17.1

Where did you get this information?

The LOS Wiki said so. Good to know though, is not essentially required.

You probably know that “The LineageOS Project” does not want to have anything to do with “microG Project”.

Yapp.

LineageOS-for-microG currently does not offer builds based on LOS 17.1

I hope this will change at some point.

On this LineageOS Wiki I cannot find any reference to Android 1Q.

May I ask you to give me the link to the LOS Wiki so I can read the information about Android Q

There is not much to read:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/starlte/install

Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 10 firmware.

Okay, thank you. This warning only applies to the Samsung 9 “starlte” and 9+ “star2lte” not to other devices supported by LOS 17.1.

As I’m interested in this topic, I’ll do some research and try it out on my S9 SM-G960 DUOS if necessary

So you’ve a S9+ with stockROM Android 1Q build date March or April 2020, which can not be downgraded to stockROM Android 9 according to the will of Samsung?

So you’ve a S9+ with stockROM Android 1Q build date March or April 2020, which can not be
downgraded to stockROM Android 9 according to the will of Samsung?

No. I have a S9+ with preinstalled /e/ from the shop.

Ahn, that’s swell! Then it can be assumed that your S9+ isn’t equipped with the “evil” Samsung bootloader from Android 1Q.

So you’ve the possibility to install a stockROM Android 1Q, with which LOS 17.1 should work according to these instructions, but at the same time you have the option to downgrade back to stockROM Android 9. So you still have the choice between /e/ OS Oreo 8.1.0 and LOS 17.1.

/e/ OS Oreo 8.1.0 receives the monthly security lease provided by Android Security Updates - Samsung Mobile Security?

What benefits do you expect from LOS 17.1?

Sorry for late reply, the last weeks have been very eventful for me.

I just want to use an up-to-date Android and I doubt that /e/ will go in this direction in near future.
Can I ask you to help me to identify which CSC I have and which firmware I may download which would still allow a downgrade to oero?
My baseband is G965FXXU2CSC1. I did not find any information about that one.
Many thanks.

Hi @lebenskuenstler,

We now have an /e/pie test-build on this forum, have you tried it ?

The entire thread is an excellent read. Learnt a lot, from questions and answers. Just wanted to show my appreciation.

Here is THE howto Install /e/ on a Samsung device

Hi,
I’m an experienced user of lineage OS mostly without google services. I would like to try /e/ OS, however it seems a bit outdated. I can install the unofficial lineage OS 18.1 on my s9+ while /e/ OS is still based on android 8 or android 10 (dev). Is there any chance to have android 11?
Thank you

I installed on my Windows computer the "Easy Installer called:
/e/OS Easy Installer V 0.13.13-beta
It was incredibly simple, but when I got to the very end it said that it is not supported for a Samsung Galaxy S9 (it’s not a +)

Is there a newer version of the Easy Installer I can use?
(I checked the link which @piero provided for @pitorel near the end of the thread, but for me that’s very complicated compared to how easy the Easy Installer was.)

Sorry to ask so many questions – this is seriously not my fortay. I have been off the Google store and using APK for ages and have been trying so hard to understand this and completely rid myself of them… I was SO close until that last screen popped up – and burst my bubble!

So, I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions:

Should I try LOS on my S9 instead? i.e., is it better, and/or better for my particular phone? And if so, Is there an “Easy Installer” download for that?
Should I buy another re-furbed phone that will work with the Easy Installer, such as the S9+
Or my final option is to try the Easy Installer program I used on the S9, on my Motorola Edge, which is brand new, but I had intended to sell once I had the S9 set up. (I had no idea Google had bought them.) Duh.

Thanks much! This e/OS Dotard appreciates it!
Holly ~ xo

Hi @holly65584 welcome to the /e/ forum.

We expect Easy Installer to work on Samsung S9, but it is not working for you.

You have picked up a rather old thread.

So you could ask

1. Why does Easy Installer not work for me … or

2. I need a bit of help with the “manual” instructions.

Ok, thank you, will do. Very helpful to know the S9 *should work. I noticed something odd… After I connected a different phone to my laptop it gave me an error message and seems to want to install another driver and re-start. I’m going to do that and run the Easy Installer again.

Best,
H ~ xo