Installing /e/OS on Xperia XZ3: VoLTE unavailable on stock ROM

Thanks a lot for the explanations.

When I dial ##4636## and go to telephone info → kebab menu upper right → IMS-servicestatus, I get the following:

IMS Registration: Not Registered
Voice over LTE: Unavailable
Voice over Wi-Fi: Unavailable
Video Calling: Unavailable
UT Interface: Unavailable

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

1. I called my carrier: they say that this phone has built-in VoLTE capabilities and it should work on their network. They also say the reason why it doesn’t work is because this phone doesn’t have the USA firmware, and this is why VoLTE is not enabled on it.
    I did’nt check the IMEI with them as I don’t understand what it means. I know what a IMEI number is, but I don’t understand what you mean by checking it with them, sorry.

2. It’s a H8416. My carrier says this phone is VoLTE certified and should work with them.

3. I’m not too sure. I bought it from Hong-Kong on eBay. The ad says it works with ‘worldwide GSM carrier and networks’, including Vodafone, which is my carrier. I also see in the ad the mention ‘Global Version’

4. The Build number of my phone is 52.1.A.3.137.
    I’m not sure to understand how to use xpericheck.com website, but here is what I found (please see attached).

5. it is brand new. I got a new one today.

• Given the firmware seems to be the cause of the issue according to my carrier support, is it possible to flash it and install the USA one instead? Is it safe to do? If yes, how can I do that?

Thanks a lot for helping me.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this, I really appreciate your help guys, this forum is amazing.

Here is what I get on Service info → Software info → Phone software version:

1313-7480_52.1.A.3.137
GLOBAL-A1 -user

The carrier support didn’t seem super keen to help me out. They just said that the firmware is the cause of the issue without suggesting any solution really. I then suggested to replace the firmware by the USA one that is known for handling VoLTE and all they said was ’ please contact us if you need any more help’.

About the other SIM, I did it: I inserted another mobile network SIM card but the result is the same, no VoLTE available. The only difference is I can make and receive phone calls as this carrier didn’t close their 3G network yet (when I make a call, I can see a small icon ‘3G’ popping up on the top of the screen).

Hi.
Global should work with VoLTE. It’s what I had on the phones and I thought they work. I wouldn’t install the USA firmware as you might run into other issues. I’m by no means any expert but I would keep that as a last resort.

I guess the main problem is the status of IMS Registration (NOT registered). I found HERE a lot of info about IMS but unfortunately have no time to study it. My guess is that if you can register the IMS you would solve your problems.
Unfortunately I have only the XZ2 premium still on stock so no 100% comparison can be made. If anyone knows a simple way to check for firmware on /e/ OS I can share the info of my /e/ -ed XZ3. I’ve checked my XZ3 with DevCheck and Device Info HW (both very nice apps) and did not find this kind of information.

Hi,
The link you provided is far too technical for me but thanks for your efforts.
I don’t know how to enable the IMS, and I’m afraid I don’t have the correct expertise to do it, unless I’m told what to do exactly.

Interestingly I received the answer from the seller on eBay: ‘this phone is a old model phone. The phone does not have Volte function. It is not the phone or our compay problem
but the phone did not comes with this function.
Are you willing to keep it?’

Now I’m confused. I double checked that this phone is VoLTE capable before I actually bought it.
I can see here: https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz3-9232.php that this phones supports LTE, although no mention is made about VoLTE itself …
Some guys here on the forum also told me that the Xperia XZ3 can handle VoLTE if I’m not wrong.
So why is the seller telling it’s not VoLTE capable? I don’t understand.

OK let’s look at it differently ! [HOWTO] Find device codename.

From: https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html (referenced above).

Retail Branding,Marketing Name,		Device,	Model
Sony,			Xperia XZ3,			801SO,	801SO
Sony,			Xperia XZ3,			H8416,	H8416
Sony,			Xperia XZ3,			H9436,	H9436
Sony,			Xperia XZ3,			H9493,	H9493
Sony,			Xperia XZ3,			SO-01L,	SO-01L
Sony,			Xperia XZ3,			SOV39,	SOV39

Models Supported
H8416
H9436
H9493
Other models are not supported

His phone is H8416; supported in /e/ OS and apparently almost identical to H9436 that I have (except support for dual sim).
H9436 clearly supports VoLTE

I think the ebay seller doesn’t know what he’s saying or doesn’t want to deal with any problem. VoLTE is not new and I really doubt it was missing from the Sony flagship phone of 2018.
I have an older Sony XZ2 compact and 2 Sony XZ2 premium that also have VoLTE.

tOm8 I’m really sorry for the issues/complication you’re experiencing. I recommended you the XZ3 as opposed to a Xperia 10 Plus.
According to gsmarena H8416 and H9436 have exactly the same radio bands. Also extract from the gsmarena review (september 2018): “Just to round the controls tour up, the hybrid SIM tray is still found on the top of the XZ3. It can either house two nano-SIM cards, both with LTE and VoLTE

Well… I have bad news. VoLTE is not actually working on my Sony phones. I’ve chosen only LTE as band and I cannot call or receive calls. I don’t understand why I have that toggle switch for VoLTE then. That toggle is missing on my Samsung S9+ since it’s not supported so it should be missing if it doesn’t work, wouldn’t it?

On below screenshot I’ve chosen GSM only specifically to see it it has any effect on the toggle… it doesn’t.

There are more reasons why it doesn’t work:

• I’ve not made any VoLTE calls before switching to /e/. This might be a verification rather than a necessary step, but it was not done.
  • the lineage OS implementation might have some issue with VoLTE
  • firmware on the phone might be different?

I’m willing to use my poor-shaped XZ3 to experiments in trying to help you get VoLTE on yours, but unfortunately I have the H9436 so I cannot use the same firmware and therefore I’m a bit limited on common steps.

1 Like

Cannot 100% trust the info in here but it corresponds to what I have read in other places, that XZ3 (and H8416 specifically has VoLTE):

https://phonedb.net/index.php?m=device&id=13961&c=sony_xperia_xz3_global_td-lte_h8416__pf42__sony_akatsuki&d=detailed_specs

1 Like

I have just tried a never degoogled XZ3 H8416 with original firmware 52.1.A.3.137 - R8C (Global Vodafone LC Not Net Locked) and Vodafon 5G / 4G LTE prepaid SIM card.

The VoLTE Check v3.0.0.6 app installed for testing purposes (free, but with lots of advertising) only shows positive results:

VoLTE App - Xperia Firmware

But reality is:

• no VoLTE button is displayed on XZ3
  • Access points (APN settings) cannot be changed (are locked out)
1 Like

Hi. On my degooglEd XZ3 H9436 I have the firmware 52.1.A.3.92. so:

Thanks for the information Xxpsilon.

I meant: tell Vodafone your IMEI number, so they can confirm if it’s compatible with their network. Some carrier websites have a tool where you can check it online yourself.

I think you can generally change a device’s regional firmware without problems, and it’s not difficult, although the process might vary slightly depending on which operating system is installed on your computer. I’ve done it only once, with Linux, years ago, and it wasn’t complicated. Do an internet search for, e.g., “xperia flash region firmware.”

But first contact /e/Support to see if it’s even necessary, because if I’m not mistaken, installing /e/OS also totally replaces the OEM firmware anyway.

As the name “IMS Service Status” implies, this only tells you the status. It is not something that you can change on your own. It populates automatically based on network+SIM+Device Capabilities (to put it in simplistic terms).

The seller seems to be uninformed.

Again, it’s not a question of “does this phone have VoLTE,” but rather “is this phone certified for VoLTE with this carrier.” (Assuming a specific phone ever had the capacity for VoLTE with any carrier, that is. Older phones may fall into that category, but apparently the XZ3 has the capability with at least some carriers.)

In general, this may not be indicative of equivalent capabilities. For instance, Sony obtained certification of the XZ1 Compact for VoLTE with T-mobile USA, but did not do so for the XZ1 (non-compact version)… with any U.S. carrier.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help guys, very much appreciated.
Thanks @Cooler for the link pointing that the XZ3 is VoLTE capable. Anyway for whatever the reason is, it’s not active on my phone visibly.

All of this is becoming overwhelmingly confusing to me, especially Xxpsilon’s answer saying that although VoLTE App displaying a Success! status about VoLTE, the reality is there’s no VoLTE switch appearing on the phone’s settings.

I’m not willing to flash the firmware of my XZ3 as:
_ it’s not 100% guaranteed that VoLTE will become available after flashing
_ I simply can’t afford spending time on doing this

What I’m going to do now is:

_ probably returning the XZ3 phone to the eBay seller, as they are keen for me to do so.
_ going through the list of /e/OS compatible devices on this website again, to find another phone to buy.

I don’t have the time right now to dig into that list again (and to find someone on eBay who has one to sell for a decent price), but, so far as I remember, the XZ3 was the only Sony model that would meet my criteria:

_ the phone must support VoLTE
_ a “not too old” phone
_ not very expensive
_ that doesn’t have any known issues with installing /e/OS on it
_ preferably not a Google phone as I don’t like Google, like all of you I guess, and I prefer not giving them any money at all
_ I don’t care about the specs, even something pretty basic will be ok (well, not too basic, mid-range is ok I guess)

Thanks again, this community/forum is awesome,

For phones that work on VoLTE under /e/

1. Xiaomi Mi A2 - very good cheap phone
  2. Oneplus 7 PRO - used by eosfan on a 4G/5G only network

Hopefyully other will chime in to give you recommandations of TRIED PHONES ON /E? OS.
I think - but others more knowledgeable must confirm - that any phone having 5G should have 4G VoLTE (except Samsung).

Hi guys,

Thanks for the recommandation @Cooler but I see 2 known issues with /e/OS on the Xiaomi Mi A2: https://gitlab.e.foundation/groups/e/-/issues/?label_name[]=jasmine_sprout&label_name[]=type%3A%3ABug

Plus I quite don’t like this brand: I remember I bought a monitoring camera that turned out to work not very well (issue witht the firmware being in chinese) so I prefer avoiding that brand.

About the OnePlus 7 Pro, although it looks like a good phone, it’s a bit too expensive for me I’m afraid, plus I see it’s a 5G phone. I prefer avoiding 5G phones as I’m not too sure about the toxicity of this technology (all other technologies, 3G, 4G … are toxic as well but 5G may be even more).

Does someone has another phone to recommend?

Here are the criteria I’m after:

_ the phone must support VoLTE
_ a “not too old” phone
_ not very expensive
_ that doesn’t have any known issues with installing /e/OS on it
_ preferably not a Google phone as I don’t like Google, like all of you I guess, and I prefer not giving them any money at all
_ I don’t care about the specs, even something pretty basic will be ok (well, not too basic, mid-range is ok I guess)

Thanks a lot

Hi guys,

I was about to buy a OnePlus 7 Pro, but when I had a look on the OnePlus 7 Pro forum it looks like it’s not the easiest phone to install /e/ on, as you can see on this page: OnePlus 7 Pro: instructions & supported devices

It looks like not every OnePlus 7 Pro models are compatible with /e/, but the /e/ page doesn’t list which models are compatible and which ones are not, plus I’ve read on the forum that some users experienced SIM card being unrecognized after upgrading /e/.
So I don’t think I’m going to buy that phone in the end.

I bougth Xiaomi monitoring cameras in the past that turned out to be pretty bad mainly because of the chinese language software, so I won’t buy that brand either, I just don’t like it.

So I’m currently having a look at Google phones, although I didn’t want to buy a Google phone at first but, it looks like it may be a more rational choice after all.

I have a question: what does Safetynet mean? And what is Rootbeer?
Thanks

Hi tOm8

Sorry again for your troubles. I procured recently another Oneplus 7 PRO (NOT 5G) this time near mint and I also have a Pixel 3 XL; both are still on stock ROM.
Let me know if you want me to help you. Had you not been in Australia things would have been much-much easier.

No problem.
What do you think about the Google Pixel 4 XL? It looks like a good phone.
I found an article saying that the battery doesn’t last long unfortunately: is it true? If yes, I guess it lasts longer with /e/ than with stock ROM?