Installing /e/ "r" on Moto e5 plus, with current stock android v8.0 oreo

Hi, I want to install /e/ on a moto e5 plus with stock android v 8.0 (oreo). I’ve done all the research possible, but I need to clarify some details before I do something that possibly bricks the phone.

Docs say my moto e5 plus is supported. (Info about Motorola Moto E5 Plus (XT1924-6/7/8) - hannah)

However, in the installation instructions, it says:

Caution: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android Stock firmware same as the version of the /e/OS you are planning to install. This can be done by checking for OTA updates available in the Updater. If available run them before installing /e/OS

For the e5+, the latest available stock version is android 8.

So what would be the actual steps to go from the current stock android 8, all the way to the latest /e/ version?

• Do I have to first install /e/ oreo? (same as the current stock version), and THEN upgrade from /e/ oreo to /e/ “r”?
    • If this is the case, how do I find download files for /e/ oreo? In the installation page it only provides a link to the latest dev, which is the “r” version.
    • So if /e/ doesn’t provide a Oreo version for e5+, how do I get started? Should I install another custom rom, just for Oreo, and then upgrade to /e/?
  • I checked the lineage page for the same model (hannah) Install LineageOS on hannah | LineageOS Wiki, and it doesn’t mention that warning about installing the rom version that matches the current stock version. Is that a real requirement? Would I brick my phone if I ignore that warning and install /e/ “r” on my device with stock 8.0 oreo?

Thanks!

I believe that you should read that warning carefully in the case that your phone is an older one where Stock ROM stopped being produced at some point in the past.

Once you know that your phone is on last and latest ROM produced by the manufacturer, you know that you complied with the caution.

Now you can install the current version of /e/.

/e/'s instructions for the moto e5plus are impossible to follow because the latest available stock version is lower than the version provided by /e/. And they clearly say that the stock version must match the /e/ version.

I ended up installing lineage because their instructions for the e5plus didn’t specify that requirement (Of stock version matching their custom rom version). And it worked fine.

Now that lineage is installed, the current version does match the /e/ version, because lineage also provides “r” as the only available dev version. Hope this helps somebody. Perhaps those instructions should be reviewed, because there’s no way to follow them using /e/ alone.

@Manoj I believe that the Caution has changed, perhaps for all devices(?) As @miguel.loves.e said in the OP it now reads

Caution: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android Stock firmware same as the version of the /e/OS you are planning to install. This can be done by checking for OTA updates available in the Updater. If available run them before installing /e/OS.

It is Incorrect to include: same as the version of the /e/OS you are planning to install.

At one time it was difficult to understand but correct ! The previous version of the Caution attempted to include the ideas that:

For newer devices the preexisting Android version must not be in advance of the /e/ version you plan to install
but for older devices you should ensure you have the last and latest ROM produced by the manufacturer.