Instructions for installing eOS on Samsung Galaxy S7

Hello everyone!

I am planning to install eOS on a Samsung Galaxy S7. I have been checking for instructions on how to do this and found this one: Install /e/ on a Samsung Galaxy S7 - “herolte”. This isntruction tells me to install Heimdall. I am using Windows 10. In the instructions for installing Heimdall I am told that “At the moment, the Windows build is not available. Please build it by yourself following our documentation.” However, I have not really an ideo of how to do this.

I also found this other instruction here, dating from April 2019: [HOWTO] Install /e/ on a Samsung smartphone with Windows easily. As I am pretty new to the field, and given that the mentioned instruction refers to a Galaxy J5, I wanted to ask people with more experience than me, whether this is a recommandable way to install eOS on the Galaxy S7. Or are there eventually other instructions someone would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

On Windows you can use Odin instead of Heimdall.

Thank you, Russ. In fact, the installation guide I mentioned above, [HOWTO] Install /e/ on a Samsung smartphone with Windows easily, uses Odin. So should I stick to the this installation guide and do everything as explainded there? (While using the /e/ ROM for Samsung Galaxy S7, of course.)

Heimdall is the reverse-engineered version of Odin, which is released for Windows only. (Edited, got names mixed up)

For s Galaxy S7 you can use the Easy Installer. It’ll do most if the work for you. Don’t forget to install the drivers.

The easy Installer includes drivers, But have problem in the moment, and when working, only could install stable Oreo for the s7, not Pie, not Q as the manual method can

Even using Windows, you can find more informations reading the Linux guide ( most steps are common )

/[HOWTO] install /e/ on a Samsung device from a GNU/Linux PC successfully

/[HOWTO] Install /e/ on a Samsung smartphone with Windows easily

1 Like

Hello everyone,

quite some time has passed since the last time. As I didn’t install eOS on my Samsung S7 back then, I am considering to (finally) do it now in order to give the phone to a friend.

Are there any relevant news to the topic? Does the Easy Installer work without problems for the S7 and is it able to install Q by now? Would you recommend to still use Odin?

Thanks a lot in advance!