Is /e/'s goal only to prevent unauthorized Google interaction, or also Google control?

Today I stumbled across this discussion:

https://qoto.org/@freemo/104765288863293481

In short, the discussion is about Google banning apps that do not prevent users from accessing sites that Google does not approve of, even though those apps may have nothing to do with those sites.

I don’t bring this example up to discuss that particular discussion, I can see good points being made by people in that discussion on both sides of the topic. Instead, reading that got me thinking about something else: If Google continues down this path of restricting users’ access to sites, and since, as I understand it, Google controls the android OS that /e/ depends on, then could Google someday decide to embed in the android OS itself code that restricts sites a user can access, or embed other unilateral controls they impose upon the user?

I have not heard anything that this is going to happen, it is just a thought that discussion prompted in my mind.

I know /e/ is dedicated to eliminating all Google contact that the user does not explicitly allow. But, if Google were also to try to build in controls that restrict how the user uses the device, which sites are accessed, etc., would /e/ attempt to remove such controls?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

If something like this happens it’ll be for sure a big hoopla and I don’t see any of the “alternative ROMs” bringing such controversial changes to their source tree.

But it’s extremely far fetched. The devil is in the details, google is “banning apps” in their app store. You can still install anything from banned (be it because they’re controversial or just because they don’t want to pay the fees to Google) apps to straight pirated apps on any Android device I know of, including even Google’s phones. Without rooting or alternative firmware, actually with minimal stress (it’s probably just about as complicated as installing Firefox on your PC).

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.