Is it possible to use /e/ without ecloud.global and without ecloud.selfhosting?

Hello,
I’ll install /e/ on my Galaxy S9, but I prefer to control everything on my server. So, the ecloud.selfhosting seems to be a good idea but not really maintained (beta version, outdated nextcloud version, not really sure to have upgrades scripts if I install it right now… )

So, as since more than 10 years I’m using my own mail server / caldav/carddav / and files/photos sync on my own server, I would like to known if I can continue with /e/ installed, or if we are forced to use ecloud.global (or ecloud.hosting) ?

BTW, this could be a good idea to list all the software’s versions used inside ecloud.hosting

Thanks!
Regards,

Hi,

I use /e/OS without sincronyzing to any service (basically I use the device with /e/OS installed and that’s it). I hope this answer would be enough (as I do not know anything about nextcloud / servers / hosting and so on…)

1 Like

No, problem, you could use eOS without an e-account.
You can also use your own server. The account manager in eOS is a fork of DAVx5.
I’m using my own nextcloud and seafile servers for syncing all.

1 Like

I known it’s out of topic, but why did you use seafile rather than the integrated sync of nextcloud ? (performances ?). Since 10 years I’ve tested a lot ( owncloud sync horrible slow, seafile but some bugs, and actually syncthings )

Seafile is faster as nextcloud.

1 Like

Of course you can use /e without an ecloud.global and very easily: you just have to add a WebDAV account in the account manager.

No need, you can use eOS without ANY cloud access, all local. No problem

Of course you can, but if you want to synchronize to have a back up or to share with someone else, the WebDAV user is an easy solution :wink:

I am currently using my /e/ phone that way: without (self-hosted) ecloud hosting. It works very well. I have my own Nextcloud installation, though. It gives me nearly all features of ecloud.global except email, which I do not use on my phone.