Is rooting relevant about /e/ ? Official position?

Hello,

I’m a years-long user of Android, and I have some some basics security skills when it comes to using computers (hygiena, etc).

My current Android-phone is NOT rooted and thus it prevents me from installing / using some useful apps.

For newbies about Android or computing, you have to know about the operation named Rooting a device (read on Wikipedia). The goal is to get full access (all rights), just like the Admin privileges on Windows, which are almost equivalent of root access on Linux systems (Android is derivated from Linux, nerds say “forked”).

The rooting is very specific and you need to think twice before doing it. There’s no coming back.
AND in addition you can’t ONLY do it on the very start of your “journey” : during the very first steps of launching you new device. It deeply affects your phone and files, and this is why I post in this section “Setup”.

Not to be confused with:

• flashing = replacing the ROM (ie the actual files that run the system) by another one (circa: injecting an other version version of Android onto a current smartphone, after wiping all previous files, the phone/tablet will now boot on the new ROM you have chosen),
  • encrypting = “one-way encoding” (actually cipher) of all files so that only YOU can access / read / write them. Encrypting can be done at any time on an Android device. Warning: Some countries or laws may force you to deliver the code/password to decrypt it so that a Judge/Police can access/read/copy everything on you system, both config files or personal data. Know your rights.

Basically when it comes to rooting (correct me if I’m wrong) :

1. you get and unbox you brand-new or refurbished phone, or you have successfully flashed it,
  2. you root it NOW, at THIS STEP, then reboot,
  3. and now, you may do whatever you want : creating users, downloading F-Droid for Libre Apps, browsing the web, importing contacts, SMS, syncing data with you previous phone… because rooting gains you full access but wipe all data in the process. So IF you want to root, EITHER you do it on the very first days of you new smartphone, EITHER you need to backup everything before trying it. NB: rooting might void your warranty.

Most apps don’t need root access. Most users don’t need it.

So…

Is rooting a /e/ smartphone very specific compared to other common versions of Android?

May it create / occur “interferences” / issues with upgrades… or microG or other micro-services… or any other pieces of software?

Do the Developpers have on official position about it?

Kind regards

Hello!
First of all, I am just a simple user of /e/OS on my mido, and I only can share my experience about root.
I’m happy with /e/ because this is what I have searched for long time about privacy. For me it was obvious that I will root the OS, since I got used to have rooted phone and its advantages. For me as an average user, for every day not required to root phone but since I use Adaway, I needed it. I also use cleaner app which needs root permission, that’s the reason why I rooted my phone via Magisk with ease.
I’ve been using rooted /e/ OS since January and so far I never experienced any issues or interferences. Updates went smoothly and fastly, and microG works perfectly for me. I think you know only some banking apps or such can have issue about root. But I don’t use any.
I have no any specific experience about rooted /e/ compared to other rooted Android. Works perfectly for me.
It’s only my personal opinion and experience.

I pretty much echo the above. Over the past eight years all phones (save for one) have been rooted as it is necessary for the things I do and need to do. Over the past several years all custom ROMs have been microG-based or without. /e/OS is no different than any other so both of my /e/ devices are rooted (also with Xposed or EdXposed). I too don’t make use of banking apps or any others that don’t work with rooted ROMs or devices. I also never do OTA updates so no problems in that area.

So root is relevant where it’s relevant/wanted/needed, otherwise not. I don’t see where there would be an official position as rooting is a personal choice. Historically, most ROM developers wouldn’t honor bug/problem reports if a ROM was modified in some way (root, Xposed, mods, Substratum themes). One would have to remove said mods first and then try to reproduce a problem, otherwise no way to know if a problem is with the ROM or the mod.

1 Like